Is It Harmful For A Fish Not To Lay Eggs?

cjumper

We treated my big lionhead for dropsy in a quarantine tank about 3 weeks ago, because she was looking swollen. No actual pineconing had started yet. We gave her antibiotic food and epsome salts and a bit of extra warmth. After a couple of weeks she seemed better, and we put her back in the main (75 gal) tank.

Now there's a new fish in the quarantine tank.

This morning two other much smaller goldfish were trying to beat up the lionhead... stomach bumping, rump pushing and shoving, etc. It looks like typical behavior by males trying to get a female to lay eggs.

The lionhead was very stressed and trying to hide. For now, I stuck her in a tropical tank with some clown loaches and a few young bristlenose plecos.

If she is carrying eggs, will it hurt her not to lay them? I don't know whether the small males can bring about egg laying but they do make her miserable.

Advice?

Caroline in San Jose

p.S. I know how to determine goldfish gender 3/4 of the time. If I give a fish a male name, it usually turns out to be female. And vice versa. The lionhead's name is Oliver.

P.S. again...

She is looking a little swollen, but not as much as before.

And she is acting normal in the new tank... browsing around with no symptoms of stress (not that i want to keep her in a tropical tank for the long term).

Caroline in San Jose

Keep an eye on her because if they don't lay eggs, they will usually reabsorb them. There are times though when eggs can become impacted and this is when things can go wrong. I just lost a fish to this and after much research, I believe there's a couple of things you can do but I wouldn't suggest them unless your fish was extremely swollen and resting on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily - this is a sign that there's pressure on the heart.

Usually most females are fine and don't need a partner and other times, they can become stressed with the whole mating behaviour so just keep an eye on her and if you see her behaviour change so that it really concerns you, post back.

You can put her back in the big tank which would be better for her and try to make a partition so that your little males will leave her alone. This would give her some 'rest' time :)