Sign in to follow this  
Guest Suzie

Anyone Have A Filter Build Into Their Tank Hood?

Guest Suzie

I am looking at buying an Aqua Nova tank with a filter built into the lid. I haven't found out yet the specifics of the volume the filter can turn over, but as a concept, does this work well being in the hood?

Let me know if any of you out there have had good or bad experience with this.

Thanks

Guest Brad

If I were you I would buy an eclipse hood/light, it comes with penguin filters that are very good.

I have several tanks with a built-in hood filter, they work by wet-dry trickle filtration. If I had my time again all my tanks would be this type. They are very effective and soooo easy to clean.

I've got a hood filter in my 10 UK gallon tank and it works great. It cycles just over 103 gallons per hour (390 litres per hour). I suppose how well it works depends on how many fish will be in the tank and the volume of water. I've got 2 Comets in my tank and they're OK for now but are growing fast. Ideally they should have 10 gallons each.

I've got a hood filter in my 10 UK gallon tank and it works great. It cycles just over 103 gallons per hour (390 litres per hour). I suppose how well it works depends on how many fish will be in the tank and the volume of water. I've got 2 Comets in my tank and they're OK for now but are growing fast. Ideally they should have 10 gallons each.

I believe that with the single tailed goldfish it's recommended that you go with 20 or more gallons each, commets being in that category.

No wonder the other 3 I had in with them died. I'm upgrading to a larger tank as soon as I can afford it, but they'll have to make do with the 10 gal for now. It's well filtered and I've got a secondary filter on the way, plus I use a gravel vac at least 3 times a week. All readings are within the recommended levels at the moment and there's plenty of dissolved oxy with another pump on order. They're happy, for now...