Poll On Buying A Goldfish Does Sex Of Goldfish Matter

l_lds2006

gf sex preference  

36 members have voted

1. 1. how many of you when you go to purchase a goldfish are choosey in choosing a male of female?

• male
    • female
    • it doesnt matter

So much depends on what I want with the fish. If breeding - I look specifically for the sex I am needing. Females, perhaps being more important than males for you can turn generations faster with a female being the focal point of a breeding line.

If I want a specific fish just to enjoy and perhaps show, I prefer males. There seem to be less medical problems with a male fish - less egg impaction, etc. They get along very well in a tank of all males - and I have a LOT of male fish (MANY more than female!)

:)

I just see which one responds to me mostly. They are all so cute - how can any one pick and chose? Man I am jonesing for a new buddy for Larry. I just don't have the tank to accomodate or funds to purchase one. :( Oh the joys!

Good poll question if you ask me!

It doesn't matter to me if they're male or female. I pick my fish based on what I think looks best. :D So much for the saying that looks don't matter, huh? LoL.

i did this poll as i was curious to know if hobbyist have pref in sex with gf as i know some gf hobbyist have certain preferences in sex of gf wheither for breeding or whatever the reason may be me personally i have no preference if i happen to see a particular fish I like i'm going to buy it @ first when i first got into the gf hobby i used to be choosey with the sex of the fish but now i just buy it regardless of sex and the results of this poll have turned out interesting so far :)

Edited by Jillian

All of my little fishies have been male, just by chance. I didn't even know petshops sold females until I read it here on Koko's a little while ago. Now, if I were to buy another I'd chose a male because I don't have the money for unplanned pregnancies.

When I can afford a bigger tank and I can find somewhere to put it, I'll get a couple of females so my little guys have some proper company. You know how it gets guys... ;)

I eventually want my own little fishy family in a seperate tank but that may have to wait til I get my own place. Darn money... :blowup:

I usually buy them before I can tell whether their male or female...and I'm terrible at sexing unless they have breeding stars so the sex of the fish doesn't really matter to me.