Tosakin

Lozbug

Well, learn somethin' e'rday!! I have always said Oh-ran-duh............when it should be oh-ron-duh. :blink:

AND I have no interest in a Toe-Suckin' Fish :peeka:tomuch:

Those are beautiful fish. So basically - soft water, no water movement, keep in a round washing up bowl and change half the water every 3 days.

Not much life for the fish is it?

so now it's clear why tosakins don't thrive in the typical goldfish setup. They're much too accustomed in an ultra-stabilized environment where they don't even have to bother about maintaining the neutral buoyancy of their swim bladders, shallow water and all.

Hi Loz,

Sorry for not finding this link! I've not been frequenting KGW for long periods of time, (been WAAAAY busy!) I sometimes drop by, but I just don't have the time to spend hours here! (bummer)

My Tosakins... Well, Riz was right I used to keep them in a shallow tank with just a sponge filter for a long time, but I found in the middle of summer last year the heat took my only female, the volume of water was just way too small to keep the temp right for them.

I have had a lot of fish troubles over the last year, with almost half my fish in QT's at any one time (bar my Tosakins thank god), and have tried to minimise the amount of small tanks that I have to manage as I'm now working full time and have band commitments, I don't have the time to dedicate to my goldies like I used to. As a consequence, the tosakins now live in my regular 6ft tank, with lots of filtration and currents. -They are probably not developping their tails and bodys in the same formation that you see in all those lovely photos on the net, but they have been the most robust and infection resistant fish I have owned. They are healthy and happy and love their environment. (yes they have a life!)

If you want your fish to continue to develop to look like the champion tosakins then yes, it's best to keep them in an environment similar to that in which they are raised. (Shallow round bowl with little current) this environment will encourage them to develop the deep body and long curly tail. My only piece of advice with that is that whoever previously mentioned to have the bowl floating in a larger volume of water is a bloody genius!, -this will help stabilize the temperature a bit for you, (If I remember rightly you're in the south? of england and will have similar weather patterns to me here in Melbourne) especially in summer when it can soar up to 28-30degC.

As for their movement, I know Carol doesn't like them and calls them slow and clumsy, but a good toskain should move like a geisha girl shuffling in her platform shoe thingys, and although is not streamlined like some other fish, should still look graceful when it swims and never clumsy.

Wow, good luck with your new babies, you'll have to post some pics soon!! :D (and I'll keep my eye in this thread ;) )

wow, ive never seen a tosakin before. their tales look alot like floating leaves to me. about the pronounciation, i think in japanese, they put different types of emphasis on syllables than we do in english. we usually raise the middle syllable if its a 3 syl word, while in japanese, i think they keep the first 2 raised, and the last one lowered unless its an elongated vowel, then that syl is lowered. so in the case of tosakin and oranda, i believe its "TOSA" in a raised/higher note, then "KIN in a lowered note, almost as if you were saying "sofa-king", and for oranda, its "ORAN" in a high note, and "da" in a lowered note. How do you guys say calico? i say it "cal eek ko" with emphasis and raised note on the "eek", but i dont know if thats actually the way to say it.

The ones with the truly full tails move rather slowly. I think they are an exceptionally beautiful fish, however. The majority of the Tosakins that I have seen are either kept in the floating bowls - making them basically "non-swimmers" or their tails are not held in good conformation as they swim actively about a tank.

:)

Thanks Mads :D

would it be such a bad thing for me to keep in tank not bowl? what i plan on doing, is a tank with water up to 12" and open top so planted like a pond (if you get me?) lil' air pump and fresh water every 2 to 3 days.

they are more pet than show... and i want to give them a nicer life as i can :)

what is their perfect temp? mine are at 20C t the moment.

(picts in goldfish pictures under topic 'loz')

Edited by Lozbug

I agree Loz that as they are pets and not for showing or breeding that you should give them as much room as you can. I would put in a gentle internal filter as well to help with water quality.

well the tank they will reside in for now, is not ideal, but it will upgrade soon as i can, am hoping with the plants and that it will give a natural filter.

i'm still researching it all :D

but yes, first and for-most they are pets :)