Goldfish Black?

Guest Demonviper

Guest Demonviper

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? about 20, for awhile now

What is the name and size of the filter/s? im not shure its not a filter, its a air pump

How often do you change the water and how much? i change it evry month or so, removing all water

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, they ate the third. they are about [ } that long

What kind of water additives or conditioners? i change every so often, what ever is on the shelf

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? yes, they at him

What do you feed your fish? tetrafin goldfish flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? They act a little spasmatic and lazy, but they have a black color now

well they had black spots when they were younger, normal ones, no disease, but now they are covered in it and im fearing it is a fungus or something living on them. The water was really dirty for a few weeks as i didnt have anything to add to the water so i couldnt change it, so im really worried.

I want to move them to a different tank, but im not shure if it will pass to other fish.

Do you know of anything i can use to treat this?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

20 gallons should be enough for 2 goldfish -if you have the right set-ups and you're doing weekly gravel vac's and water changing.Do you have an all purpose test kit to give you readings for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates?If not,you'll definately need it.

So how long has this tank been set up exactly?What is the pump connected to,an airstone? :unsure: You definately need a filter that provides at least 10x's filtration of the size of your tank,so we're talking at least 200 gph(gallons per hour)

Without knowing much here,I'm going to tell you to change out at least 50% of your water.The black marks and their odd behavior could have alot to do with water quality,but that's a guess on my part until we know more.

When in doubt of your fish's health or behavior,water changing is always the first place to start.Make sure that you match the tank temps with the new water and treat it also.

It's really hard to answer this post as you've been very "vague" about all your answers.

Is it a 20 gallon tank?

Can you look on the shelf and tell me what conditioner you happen to be using now to treat the water.When was the last time you changed water and how much did you change?

Are these fish goldfish Commons/Comets,or Fancy ?

If you don't have a test kit,you can take a sample of your tank water to your LFS and they'll test it for you.Have them write the #'s down so that you can let us know what they are. :)

In the meantime,you may want to read this

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

These will help you to understand what you need to do here. :)