Glow In The Dark Rocks

ktinal900

I've seen these glow in the dark rocks at the pet store before...... okay, they're really plastic "rocks"...... and I've thought about getting some for decor (there were some really cute ones shaped like starfish!! :D ) but was wondering do you think it'll bother the fish? especially at night when they're trying to sleep? LoL. Just wondering what your opinion is. :)

If ur planning to have just a few, I guess it's ok. I think the glow produced from these rocks is at most similar to the one produced by full moon so I think it should be fine. Just a few though...

im guessing theyre just like those glow in the dark toys that take in light, and not some mechanical one. im sure the toy style ones are ok since they lose their glow after like half an hour, and that should be good for the fish so they aren't totally in the dark when they try to find a place to sleep. assuming theyre not poisonous that is.

I think they sound neat.

Make certain they're safe first though.

My fish in one tank actually gather around the electric plug light next to one side of the tank, when they sleep. there is an orange glow from it and they all collect near it at night. If it is glow -not too strong- should be fine :)

I wonder though if they glow for very long. I've bought some ornaments that are suppose to glow in the dark, and they do once you turn off the tank light but after a while, they no longer glow.

karla

Pretty much all glow-in-the-drak products are made with phosphorous. That is what creates the glow. This material will "absorb" light from daylight or atificial light and hold it for some time afterwards. The glow generally doesn't last long. I have a product made by my previous company that is a lightbulb completely filled with phosphorous, encased in acrylic. This only glows for an hour or two max, and this is filled with phosphorus, wheras most products will just be coated with it. I can't see the glow being a problem to yur fish. If anything it will make the change from light to dark when you switch the room lights off more gradual for them.

I think it would be cool to have them in the tank. I too have seen them and wondered the same thing (if it would bug the fish). I might just have to pick some up now.

Archived