Jagged Fins?

ktinal900

Hey, I had a question regarding my goldie's fins. He's a large comet and today I just noticed that the edge of his fins are jagged rather than being smooth. I've never noticed this before since I've never really looked that close at my fish. I just wanted to make sure that this is normal??? I would hate it if were something else. :unsure: Thanks!

:unsure: Are you able to post a pic?

Also,could you tell us a little on the tank size/filter/maintainance schedule/how many fish & their size,etc.

It sounds like alot of information,but the more we know,the easier we can help.Right now it would all be guessing.It could be anything from an Ornament catching his fins,to poor water quality,to fin nipping,to illness,etc.

Number of fish: 2

Size of fish: 7 inch, 3-4 inch

Type of fish: comet

Food: different flake foods, occasional veggies

Size of tank: 29 gal

Type of filter: Aquaclear 300

Water changes: 20% every other day since it's still cycling (been approx 3 weeks I think)... will later change to 20% once a week (is that good??)

Additions to water: aquarium salt (0.5 tsp/gal)

Decorations, etc: live water plants, terra cotta pot, rocks (I made sure they were all smooth..... so no rough edges!)

It's the big one whose edge of fins looks jagged. He seems okay but I dunno.

Sorry, no pic. My naughty doggie chewed my camera a while ago and I'm still waiting for my new one to come in the mail LoL. Must remember not to leave it on the floor :blink:

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/diagram.htm

I found this pic and well, they're not of real fish but my fish's fins kind of look like the pic at the bottom right, only his fins are pretty much all there still.... just ragged looking.... unlike the other pics where the edges are smooth.

You don't think he has fin rot do you?? :no: Maybe he's just growing?? He has gotten a little bigger since moving to his new bigger home.

Could be that because you're going through a cycling stage with the tank,that your params have been a bit off-so it seems to be some fin rot for sure going by the picture.What are your water readings by the way?You never mentioned them. :unsure:

ammonia almost 0

nitrite almost 2

nitrate 8

water temp is around 76, 78 F

I hope I rest the test kit thingie right.... :blink:

But what should I do?? :krazy: you don't think my fish got nitrite poisoning since the nitrite level is kind of high do you? I read that fin rot is one of the things that can result from it.

What is the best way to cure fin rot?? Oh dear..... :blink: this has never happened before.........

I hope I rest the test kit thingie right....

oopsie that should be "read" not "rest"

but anyone?? anyone?? any advice?

LoL...

Ok, I was able to borrow my friend's camera and take some pics of my fish... of course most of my piccies turned out really ultra horrible (i'm a terrible photographer LoL!) But you can kind of see what his top fin looks like... which is what all his other fins look like, too. :unsure:

I also did a 25% water change but haven't added back any of the salt.

fin2.jpg

It's hard to say about the fin from that pic.I have fish who don't have the perfect looking dorsal fin,but that's how they are.As for your water params,your Nitrites are too high,and You're also getting a reading for Nitrates,which usually show when your tank is cycled.What test kit are you using? Have you ever tested your water straight out of the tap for any readings?

If you have no readings of Ammonia,Nitrites,Nitrates in your tap water,then maybe we can assume that your tank is in the final cycling stages.If that's the case,then you want both your Ammonia & Nitrites reading 0,and you want to continue keeping your Nitrates under 20 ppms. To get rid of Nitrites,you'll need to do some more water changes,or up the ones you're doing. :)

Dunno what test kit it was (as it wasnt mine) and I don't think I read it right anyways..... it was early morning before work and I might have remembered the numbers wrong... but tomorrow I am going to the pet store for my own kit! And I'll know exactly what kind it is LoL. Guess it doesn't really help that I've never used these things before.

Should I worry about my fish, though? I finally found some old pics of him and the edges of his fins looked pretty smooth. Well, not perfect but definitely nothing like they look now. Maybe he's just growing weird now?

If you see a difference for the worse,then I'd probably assume that there's been a problem with either a water issue or something.He has no other signs/symptoms that there's anything wrong?

do you have any plastic plants/ornaments in the tank that he could have been catching it on? :unsure:

fin3.jpg

This is an old pic of his dorsal fin. Not a good pic of course LoL. But yeah, relatively smoother looking...

There's nothing really in the tank that he could be catching all his fins on... i have a bunch of smooth rocks and some terra cotta pots... no ornaments to be catching on. He's seems very healthy otherwise. Active... very healthy appetite (he's still a big piggie LoL)...

What would you recommend for fin rot, though? Since tomorrow I'm going to the pet store, I'd rather pick something up and not use it if I don't have to (and return it later) rather than have to wait another day to go since it's kind of far. I've heard of Maracyn or E.M. Tablets?

Truthfully,if it's finrot,it's minor.For that,the best thing that you can do is really stay with your weekly water changes/gravel vacs and working on keeping the params at the best levels that you can.You'd be surprised what that alone can do for a fish having problems. :) Get those Nitrites down to 0 if your tank is reading Nitrates and you're cycled.

I personally wouldn't feel the need to add anything as of yet,although I try to avoid meds unless I feel that it's absolutely a must. Good luck! :)

Ohhh, that sounds good. I'll be sure to get my test kit tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, Devs! I really appreciate it!! :D

:) No problem.As for test kits,the Test Strips are the easiest choice,but lacking when it comes to actual readings.If I could offer some advice,I'd tell you to go with the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test kit---very accurate. ;):exactly I got mine at Big Al's pretty cheap.You may want to check a few on line places for pricing.Some stores will match them. :D

ammonia=0

nitrite=between 0.25 and 0.5

nitrate=5

ph=7.5

I love this little test kit!! I totally feel like in school doing a science experiment. LoL!! :rolleyes:

So, the water params look ok... :blink: I think?? I'm new to this so I'm not sure...

I'm still kind of worried about my fish. I've been keeping with the 25% water changes each day and it's been over 3 days now since I first noticed his fins looking ragged........ And of course I know I shouldn't expect any miracles right away LoL but still... his fins are still funky..... I'm not sure if they've gotten any worse or are the same..

Any thoughts??

Also, quick question..

I add 0.5 tsp salt per gallon water..... what percentage salinity is this? How do you calculate it? I've been reading other posts about adding salt but still not sure

I have some Maracyn 2 if necessary but am waiting a little while longer to see if his condition improves or stays the same or (hopefully not!!) worsens... if it stays the same, does it possibly mean his fins are just growing weird?? :unsure: How long do you think I should wait??

Did you test your water out of the tap?If your tank is allready reading like it's cycled,and your tap water reads normal, then you need to get those Nitrite levels down to 0.Nitrites will keep your fish from getting back to normal.As for the Maracyn,I wouldn't worry about it for now-just work on perfect parms.

Salt,well one tsp. per gallon makes it 0.1 %,so if you only added half of what you should have added,that answers that. :D Why did you only add half? :unsure: Just wondering. :)

I wasn't sure how much salt to add and didn't want to add too much esp. since I didn't want it to be too drastic to my fish as they never had salt in their water before... so I followed the recommendation on the carton of salt. :) Do you think I should add more?

Oh, and this is just what I wrote in another post:

His eye injury was actually the result of a scratch that he got when the other bigger fish shoved him into the gravel when they were living in their 12 gal home... for their new 30 gal tank I made sure to get smaller rounded gravel....

Dunno why I don't use conditioner... it's just that I never have in all the years I've owned goldies and they always did well.... I've never had so many problems before with my fish until now :krazy:

I tested the water from the tap and the water params were

ammonia=0

nitrite=between 0

nitrate=0

ph= around 7.2

I tested the tank water and the params were around the same as last time but with lower nitrites... ideally, nitrites are supposed to be zero, right??

ammonia=0

nitrite=0.25

nitrate=5

ph=7.5

What kind of water conditioner do you use? And I know this is kind of a silly question, but what exactly does it do to improve the water?? Will it help solve the problems I'm seeing in my goldfish now? (including Re: "Jagged Fins" post) Or what else could I do? :unsure:

I tested the water again today and I think the water params are looking better? I've been doing 25% daily water changes to get the nitrites down and today finally it read zero!

Ammonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=between 5 and 10

PH=7.2

My little fish seems to be doing better :) He spent most of the day out and swimming rather than hiding away...... this is more like his normal self.

But......... the bigger fish's fins are looking worse.... some of the parts where it's eating away have been getting deeper little by little... it's getting a lot more noticeable and easier to see... :unsure: ???

Yeah, I don't really like adding salt to the water but I read somewhere that said it can help the fish deal with the nitrites a bit better when the tank is first cycling which is why I added it.

Thankfully the fin rot is not that bad yet (it looks more like something took little bites out all along the edges of his fins and it's his bottom fins that look the worse :blink: ). It's a bit worse than when I first noticed it but I'll be sure to monitor the water and the fish. :fishtank: So far, he looks to be doing okay still -- healthy appetite, very active.

It's city water and I'm not really sure what they treat it with besides the chlorine and addition of fluoride. Some of the stuff that may be present in the water is said to be the result of erosion or leaching of natural deposits. :unsure: I think I'll look into getting some water conditioner. :) Thanks for all the help!!! :thanks I don't know what I would have done without it, especially considering the peeps at the pet store didn't help much LoL. This forum is an awesome place! :D

Chances are that although you've started improving your water conditons,the fin problem started before that and will take a while to get back to normal/The very best thing that you can do for him now,is to keep that Ammonia/Nitrites at 0 and those Nitrates under 20.It may take a bit of time,but the fins should heal . :)

Continue to watch him though for any signs of a secondary infection resulting from this.If it gets to that point,then you may need an Antibiotic. Are you able to post a pic?Are the fins down to the body? Adding the rest of the salt to make it 0.1%,is strictly up to you. I personally save salt using for rare occasions and seem to have better luck with doing that,but it is your option. :) It won't hurt him.

As for your water,is it City water/well water,or what?

Where I live the city treats our water system with all kinds of stuff,so my water has Chlorine/Chloramines,some metals and such in it.Even slight readings of these can eventually harm your fish,so I use a conditioner to treat my water.I happen to use Prime on my main larger tanks,and Amquel Plus on Q-tanks,and any tanks that I do 100% water changes on.Prime will not only rid your water of metals/chlorine/chloramines,it will also detoxify Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates.All around it's a great product to have in the house.It's a bit more expensive,but it lasts quite a while and well worth it. :)

Archived