Blue Oranda

goldenlady

I bought a fish that was called a blue oranda. It is not black, but it does have a paling black overall and brass or silver bleeding through 3/4 of its body. I think the fish is in the process of becoming silver and red. The peduncle is showing a more orangy brass color. It is about 5.5 inches long, its sides are around 2 inches. No telling how old it is. Do you think this fish is going to change further, or will the fish likely stay this color? It isn't blue and it isn't black, although much of it looks sort of black. :)

Edited by goldenlady

Hi, to be honest it may be hard to tell you.

Blue orandas often have bronzey patches on them. Infact most blue orandas do this. However the more dark in color (blue) the less likely they are to turn.

I have not known a blue oranda with these bronze patches to totally change, more or less the patch can get bigger though.

I would say if it is 5 inches, it may just stay the same.

Thanks for your observations about whether my fish will turn. I think it would be very fun if he did, but if he doesn't, that's ok, too. He's got so much silver, that I kind of wish he were more blue. I'll try and post a picture. :D

Guest oranda90272

I bought 2 Blue O.s within couple of weeks (1 died as a result of injury).

The one I have is (with tail fully extended between 6 and 7". There is some silverish coloration of the scales on the side of his body, but his mostly blue. There are a couple of photos at photobucket\oranda90272.

I saw somewhere between 8-12 in the store. The coloration varied between fish, some showing orange color in spots but the large fish were all pretty consistent in showing some scale color.

My limited expereince with color change says that by the time the fish is the length you have he is pretty set in his color.