Sick Goldfish

Guest evospace

Guest evospace

Hi. My goldfish has all its scales sticking out and is swimming around at the bottom of the tank. My tank is 16 gallons. Has been running for about 3 years or more. I have a small sponge filter. I change a 3rd of the water every 2 weeks. I have 4 fish in total. 2 weather loaches that are about 5 inches long. I have one common goldfish that is 7 years old and also 5 inches. The one that is sick is my oranda. It is 4 inches or so. I feed my fish on goldfish flakes or mosquito larve. I have no new fish. Please help

Guest Fancy80

Can you please tell us the water conditions, and if possible take a picture of your fish. Its alot easier to tell whats wrong if there is a picture.

Hi and :welcome

From your description, sounds like dropsy, which is often fatal.

From what you wrote, your tank set-up is very insufficient to support all 4 fish. Your tank is at least 20 gallons to small, your filter is very inadequate and your waterchange regime is quite lacking.

Can u give us the exact numbers on the ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate values cos it's very hard for us to give analysis without them.

Judging from your overall keeping set-up, I hazard a guess that your fish has been tolerating bad water quality for quite some time and then *bam* just can't take it anymore and immune system broke down.

Keep us updated ;)