Sign in to follow this  
jen626

The Chase Is On....i Will Pee My Pants If I Get Eggs!

:heart I have recently found out that Cherry and Johnny, the two red fish in my sig, are males and Soda and Pony, the white fish in my sig, are female. Johnny and Cherry have had breeding stars for a week and today they are chasing the females around non-stop.

I don't know why, but even though I am not wanting fry I am still really excited, I don't know, I guess I just feel like if they are wanting to breed they must be happy? I know it is probably nothing to do with that and is more related to the weather changes and stuff, but I think I'll go with it! :D

So a few questions...if it even happens, which will be truly amazing with all these fish have been through. I know there are threads all over, and I have read most of them, but i was hoping someone could help me with these as they apply to my specific situation:

What is the best thing I could put in the tank for the fish to spawn into? I have no plants in this tank, all there is are some large rocks on the bottom, a tiny diver ornament and the filter intakes. I have some plastic plants that I am not using but they seem kinda like they might poke the fish?

What is the best way to determine if the females are carrying eggs? Just looking at them from above and seeing if they are fatter, especially on one side?

If I do get eggs, what is the best way to get them out of a 55 gallon tank? I will leave most of them for the fish to eat, but I *might* decide to take a few out if they get fertilized and see what happens, my daughter is kind of interested in the whole thing.

Anything I should do differently with feeding, like more or less?

Thanks for answering these questions...I am reading a bunch of books on breeding, but you guys are the real experts.

Ok Jen, First off DO NOT Pee your pant's! We will have to laugh at you for month's if you do. :rofl

I can't answer your question's, But I am totally excited for you!! :D I hope if you do end up with some egg's you keep a few to raise. It would be oh so FUN!! :D

What is the best thing I could put in the tank for the fish to spawn into?

Better have something, like a mop of wool or the plastic plants should be better than rocks.

What is the best way to determine if the females are carrying eggs?

I think the left side should be bulging a bit. I know now how to see in fancies but dunno in torpedo-shaped fish.

If I do get eggs, what is the best way to get them out of a 55 gallon tank?

If u only want a few, then get the ones that's clinging onto rocks or plants by removing the rock/plant into a different container.

Anything I should do differently with feeding, like more or less?

Feeding normal :) . Just make sure there's nothing nasty occurs to the female ;)

Good luck!

A mop of wool? Do you mean like a mop that you clean the floor with that is made of wool? I know I have heard the term "breeding mop" but wasn't sure what it meant. :unsure:

LOL, Della, I will try and hold it... :rofl

A mop of wool? Do you mean like a mop that you clean the floor with that is made of wool? I know I have heard the term "breeding mop" but wasn't sure what it meant. :unsure:

Lol yep it's breeding mop. U can use a ball of yarn, cut it into longish strands, tie them together and hang it in the tank. Or easier still, get an unused piece of white (un-coloured) cloth, cut them to resemble a mop (like Dr. Zoidberg's mouth tentacles), and hang it in the tank.

The purpose is mainly to prevent injuries happening to the female, and of course as a place for the eggs to cling on to.

OK, I get it, lol Riz, it was the Dr. Zoidberg description that really helped! :D

They aren't chasing anymore this evening so we'll see. I keep thinking Pony looks kind of lumpy but it may just be the power of suggestion.

Actually Jen, I thought it important to step in here with some advice and it's advice I've given before. If your fish do spawn and you find yourself in a precarious position, just grab yourself an incontinence pad. Don't be embarrassed, a pee's a pee and many have used them in similar situations ..... although I guess the only difference is they're about 90 years old :rofl

I love your description Riz - Dr Zoidberg :rofl I was only watching that show earlier :D

I love your description Riz - Dr Zoidberg :rofl

The first thing that came up to my mind when thinking breeding mop :bingo:

Nothing yet, the chasing has subsided for today at least.

But i am happy they were even THINKING about breeding!

lol jen, then that WOULD make her feel like a grandma

hey, ya never know, your fish may be like zoidberg when he was looking for a breeding partner xD

So far no eggs or anything, they must just be practicing! (or it could be the Zoidberg thing) :rofl

The males still have breeding stars though and there is still a little bit of chasing going on. How long does the breeding possibility last?