Saltwater Tank

Guest Fancy80

Guest Fancy80

I'm considering getting a 28 gallon tank for saltwater fish. I have never had a saltwater tank and wouldnt know where to begin. Do I have to keep adding salt to the tank? What should the nitrates and stuff like that be? I was thinking about getting 3 bicolor pseudochromis, 3 yellowtail damsels, 2 striped damsels, 2 bicolor angelfish, 1 dwarf zebra hermitt crab and 3 turbo snails.

Is that to many fish for a 28 gallon tank? If so how many fish would be okay to put into a 28 gallon tank? I'm not going to be using liverocks and coral since I wouldnt know where to begin to take care of them. I'm going to be using fake corals (catpaw coral) stuff like that. Is aragamax sand considered live sand? what exactly is live sand? :unsure:

I'm considering getting a 28 gallon tank for saltwater fish. I have never had a saltwater tank and wouldnt know where to begin.

You will not be disapointed!!! There is just something special about SW tanks....

Do I have to keep adding salt to the tank?

When you set up the system you will use "preferably RO/DI or RO water" and you will use a salt mix..."Instant Ocean" or some other mix and set the Specific gravity at 1.021....for a fish only tank.

You will encounter evaperation just like in a fresh water tank...the great thing is salt doesn't evaporate, so you will add RO/DI or RO water back into the system without mixing it with salt....

Just remember everytime you do a water change you will use the salt mix and get the water SG up to 1.021 for a fish only tank!!! :)

What should the nitrates and stuff like that be?

You want to keep your water very clean.... 0 nitrites, as close to 0 nitrates as you can, ph about 8.0-8.3, 0 ammonia...

I was thinking about getting 3 bicolor pseudochromis, 3 yellowtail damsels, 2 striped damsels, 2 bicolor angelfish, 1 dwarf zebra hermitt crab and 3 turbo snails.

Nice fish choice....but you need to understand that damsels are not good fish for that small of a tank if you plan on keeping any other kinds of fish as they are very aggressive and will not leave the other fish alone!!!!

In fact they are not good for any size tank!!!!

Remember you need to add fish slowly to your system...that is a lot of fish for a 28 gal tank...

Is that to many fish for a 28 gallon tank? If so how many fish would be okay to put into a 28 gallon tank?

Yes, to start with that is a bunch of fish.... I would start with 2 or three.... and go from there.... but 5 or more is really pushing it in a 28 gal....

I'm not going to be using liverocks and coral since I wouldnt know where to begin to take care of them. I'm going to be using fake corals (catpaw coral) stuff like that. Is aragamax sand considered live sand? what exactly is live sand? :unsure:

I would use LR before I would use LS.... Get the aragamax and stay away from the LS....LS is supose to have live bacteria in it.... and I am not always sure that you get what you pay for....

Hope this helps a bit!!!

Guest Fancy80

:) Thanks, and yes it helped. I will stick with 3 fish in a 28 gallon. I was thinking about adding a starfish or a dwarf zebra hermitt crab. What should the waters SG be if I wanted to add a starfish or something like that?

I was told that I would need a 100 + gallon tank for an imperator angelfish, I seen that they get quit large like 15 inches or better. Is a 100 gallon ok for this type of fish?

:) Thanks, and yes it helped. I will stick with 3 fish in a 28 gallon. I was thinking about adding a starfish or a dwarf zebra hermitt crab. What should the waters SG be if I wanted to add a starfish or something like that?

If you are going to add inverts it is best to have Live Rock.... also you would need to raise the SG up to 1.025-1.026...A sand sifter star would work ok in a sand substrate and the rest like the Live Rock... The hermitt crabs also graze off of live rock...

I was told that I would need a 100 + gallon tank for an imperator angelfish, I seen that they get quit large like 15 inches or better. Is a 100 gallon ok for this type of fish?

It is recomended not to go below a 100 gal tank if you plan on keeping an imerator....but I would say a 6' tank would be the the smallest tank I would keep them in.... that means 125 gal 135 etc....