Sign in to follow this  
Kasper

Baby Platy Update!

My They are all getting so BIG!!! I finaly figured out the paternity of my three little darlings and their Genders! I posted about them all a bit ago in these posts #1 and #2

In case you are all wondering...

Ninja is indeed eating

Madonna is Ninjas Mother

The tank was above 75 Degrees the whole time

They LOVE Mashed flake food and now eat from the surface of the water.

Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds is the mother of Dear Prudence and Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

All Of my Fry are girls!

First things first lets get some pictures of the Parents and Godmother.

This is Miss Lucy i.t.s.w.d. Mother of Dear Prudence and Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

Lucyi.jpg

This is Lady Madonna Mother of Ninja

LadyMadonna.jpg

Sgt. Pepper Father of all of them

Sgt.jpg

Godmother Eleanor Rigby

EleanoryRigby.jpg

And now the babies!!

Ninja the oldest

Ninja.jpg

Dizzy Miss Lizzy (the one in the front)

DizzyMissLizzy.jpg

Last but not least my Dear Prudence.

Prudence.jpg

That is my new family! I will get new pictures of them in 2 weeks, to show how they have grown.

Edited by Kasper

wow they are doing well good job :thumbup:

Edited by fishcrazy

Aww! Your baby platies are so cute :heart How big are they now?

Coulden't say on exact measurements Kissy, they move Really fast! lol But I took a Q-Tip to the side of the tank and they are about the length of that.

Weird question for anyone, can Platies and Molly's breed together? Can they even live together? I have a friend with a 10 gallon tank that has one molly in it, She wants one of my babies from the next batch. I want to make sure they can be tank mates before I say yes. Im going to google it but Who knows what that will yeild.

Later!

Mollies are compatible with platies, so all is good there. There is a lot of debate whether they can interbreed or not. With guppies and mollies its pretty rare and the offspring are not fertile. I'd guess its the same way with platies and mollies.

Your platies are gorgeous. Great job! :)

Guest Crush

Guppies and mollies can breed, but it is really rare, and the babies are infertile.

Swordtails and Platies can both breed and produce fertile offspring.

However there can be no mix like platies cant breed with mollies or guppies ect.

Platies and mollies can live together, but just because they can not breed, does not mean that they wont try. So if she has a male than give her 2-3 females or another male. And if she has a girl than give her females. That way there wont be to much pressure on the female from the males.

Very nice babies by the way. My friend has been breeding guppies, mollies, swordtails, and platis for the last 17 years!!

Just curious Crush, but why can there be offspring between guppies and mollies, but not platies and mollies? They look more similar to me, but maybe they are more different genetically? Could you ask your friend for me?

That pic of Ninja is so cute! :) They're all eyes, aren't they?

Guest Crush

Just curious Crush, but why can there be offspring between guppies and mollies, but not platies and mollies? They look more similar to me, but maybe they are more different genetically? Could you ask your friend for me?

Well its a whole kingdom thing. To make a long story short all livebearers have the same genus (Poecilia). Platies and Swordtails are the same species making them able to breed and produce fertile offspring. Guppies and mollies arent the same species but they can still breed on occasions because they have the right numeber of chromsones in they DNA. Mollies and platies cant breed because of the chromosomes, and same for platy and guppy, etc..

That pic of Ninja is so cute! :) They're all eyes, aren't they?

:lol: Yeah they really are, I look to see if they are ok in the morning and all I see are a set of eyes, followed by the whispy representation of their bodies.

Its funny, I have friends that come over all the time and they all want my babies now! :rolleyes:

At least 4 of my girlfriends want one of them from the next batch. Don't worry though, Im making sure that they have the proper type of setup before I agree to the adoption of my babies.

Awwwww!!!! Your fishies are so cute. I love Ninja the best. He is so adorable :heart

Well its a whole kingdom thing. To make a long story short all livebearers have the same genus (Poecilia). Platies and Swordtails are the same species making them able to breed and produce fertile offspring. Guppies and mollies arent the same species but they can still breed on occasions because they have the right numeber of chromsones in they DNA. Mollies and platies cant breed because of the chromosomes, and same for platy and guppy, etc..

Very interesting, thankyou!