Sign in to follow this  
jason_yyl

Please Help!fish Head Down Tail Up,red Gills+under Mouth Red,fin Rot

Allright,i will do that. I have added in sera baktopur but not b.direct. Do u think its essential to put both in? A few hours more then i can put it back into the 8g!

IF they can be used together - then I would go with both. You want to try and resolve this quickly because the poor thing is stressed and ill so the sooner you resolve the problem the better. Then once he's well, he'll be able to enjoy a stress free environment with just excellent water and no meds - i'm sure he'll enjoy that.

Also, as soon as you can, posting a pic would help :)

Okay,il put both d med in when i move him back to the 8g! I can only post d pic tomorrow morning as i dont have a pc to do that now. Yes i want to resolve this asap!!i wil post an update once i am home again tonight in 4-5hours time!(im out now,replying wit mobile phone),thanks again jenw for your help!

Jason, as always, it's a pleasure :) I feel like this little fellow has become one of my surrogate fish so I'm hoping he'll get well soon also :)

Jenw,i noticed that there r sum new white stuffs on d cheeks and at d front of d face. Eyes still whitish. New red dots appearing and the swollen red chin is still there. Further floating head down lifelessly but sometimes manage to regain back normal position. If im not wrong,he seems 2be scrathing on d side of d tank sometimes. D back of d tail look bad,and very ragged. He is in the 8g now.

I have got this feeling that he cant lift his head fully up and hold his body horizontally. After awhile he wil rest his head on d ground but his body will be 45degrees up. D swollen red chin if seen from d side look like a lump bulging out. Jenw,i believe his condition has worsened during d past 24 hours.

Jenw,haha yeah im sure d fish wont mind having a good surrogate caretaker like u!=D..d reading in d 8g are ok,but i cant get a correct reading after adding in d med coz i makes the water into a light green/yellow color. I will post pics n video of its behaviour tomorrow morning!hope it wont be too late.

Hi Jenw,

the fish still look the same this morning at 9am. I have changed 50% water and added back half the med(sera baktopur + direct)

the poop look brown no more whitish.

However, the whitish thing on the forehead and cheeks is still visible. The red spots on the chin which is swollen and the red spots on the scales are still there.

Most of the time, he floats head down in the 8g coz the water level is much higher that the one in the basin.

Below are the pics of the damage and videos of its swimming behaviour.

Please advice. Thanks! ='(

THE RED SWOLLEN CHIN

Image046.jpg

RED SWOLLEN CHIN FROM SIDE VIEW

Image047.jpg

A CLOSER VIEW ( CAN SEE THAT IT IS BULGING OUT)

Image048.jpg

THE RED BELLY, NOTICE THE RED SPOTS NEAR THE JOINT OF THE PELVIC FINS AND NEAR THE ANAL FIN.

Image050.jpg

THE VERY RED RAGGED TAIL FROM BELOW.

Image051.jpg

THE UNUSUAL SWIMMING BEHAVIOUR

th_Video005-1.jpg

THE FLOATING HEAD DOWN

th_Video004-1.jpg

These are the classic symptoms of a bad bacterial infection - poor little thing :(

If you find the Sera products aren't doing much in the next 24 hours - you could go with the JYP. How is the water quality? Still perfect? (remember to check the ammonia regularly).

Also, could you give me a quick rundown of the contents of the Sera products?

Hi JenW,

The water quality is fine before I left to work. I am at work now and will only get back home in another 2-3 hours. I wil check again on the quality once I get home.

I can provide you the contents when I reach home later. If all else fail, perhaps PP or salt dip is necesssary.

Dont know why, but I am having this really really bad feeling that he is not doing well at this time,perhaps he is already gone. I will only know when I reach home later.

No, never say so - I think he'll still be there when you get home... I've seen fish turn around from terrible bacterial infections before so bear with him. Let's get this little fella well.

I wish you lived closer, I'd send you some metronidazole tablets with some instructions of how to make medicated food. This is what's helped me in similar circumstances.

Jenw,he looks d same,although d redness on d chin has subsided abit bt there is more red spots on d scales. His fin joint is rely dark red now. I hv changed 100%water,didnt feed and put in JYP. Sera baktopur has acriflavine 209.7mg,methylene blue 4.95mg,phenylglycol 0.6mg,aqua purificata ad 100ml for each 100ml bottle. B.direct has nifurpirinol 27.6mg,binding agent ad 1g.

D worst case scenario,look like sera baktopur n direct cant help,if JYP cant help wat else would?any other alternative med?i have limited choice of meds at my lfs. D fish is now lying with head down but body up for a long long time!

So you just have the JYP in there? Hopefully this will work. I don't know what else is available to you Jason but for now, I would continue with the JYP and see if there's any improvement.

Hey jenw! Today he looks slightly better!=)..d redness swollen part has subsided by 50%,d joint of d fins is less red,n d red spots on the scales r almost gone!he seems more active n less floating!i din feed him for 2 days bt there is poop and its brown. I have done 80%water change and added more jyp then yesterday night.=D

I really hope this stuff works (I reread the thread over at RG - and they all seem to have success with it)...

I still have my fingers crossed but it sounds like things are starting to look up :)

Jenw,if ur still online,nd 2 inform u that there is good news!d red spot near d gill is gone,d red spot under belly is gone too!d swollen chin has improved alot!less swollen and less red!no more whitish thing in d eye too,but floating head down stil exists and d tail is relly ragged,torn and red now,i am worried about that. Today he lost one scale. Will d tail heal back asap and what med2use?

Hi Jenw,

This morning before I left to work, he looks fine! He swims more actively and slightly less head down floating from my observation for 15minutes. The redness is subsiding by the hour! =), However he is not eating much. I am still worried about the ragged torn tail, hopefiully it wont reach the base. This is another problem once this parasite problem is gone! Hopefully melafix will help it to promote tail growth again.

Yeah, the RG forum on JYP is informative. Its widely used over here. Can you find JYP at your place?

I will update on the status of the fish again tonight!

This is all such good news Jason :) And no, we don't get JYP over here... I'd be a bit nervous using it but we do have parasitic meds that give the same warnings and if needed, I wouldn't hesitate to use them :D

Once you're happy the bacteria is resolved, you can go with the melafix in your water although I'd only dose once the JYP is completely out of your tank. It's too risky to attempt to add other chemicals, especially as we don't know how it would react with the JYP.

Fin rot can take some time to heal although when you look at your fish, does it appear to have stopped rotting? Or is there more erosion even now?

Post back when you can and hopefully the good news will continue to come :)

Hi jenw!he looks even better today,d red on d fins joint is almost gone,just left a few red dots,the whole joint was dark red 2 days ago! The swollen chin has healed 90% i wil say,bt there is just a lil bit of redness still. D tail looked ragged n torn,its like nearly 20% of the tail end is g0ne. Floating head down still exists but much lesser and there is no more bubble eating!

D rotting seems to have stopped compared 2d past few days. D red streaks on d tail is 90% gone. I hv changed 100% water and will add slightly less JYP. This stuff really works! I am thinking when i should stop this treatment? What do you think? I am gona post some pics tomorrow morning for you to compare! Haha at last after 2weeks of stress,there is a significant improvement!thanks jenw!=D..

Actually i forgot to mention something, before i add in d JYP,what i did was i rub the JYP straight onto the red joint and chin when i lifted it up from d water. It struggled perhaps due to the pain and i let it back down after a minute. Maybe this helped a little but i am not sure.

Hi Jenw,

Here are the updated pics that shows alot of improvements! =)

THE REDNESS IS ALMOST GONE!

Image056.jpg

THE BELLY HAS NO MORE REDNESS

Image053.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW

Image052.jpg

THE TAIL WHICH I AM WORRIED ABOUT

Image055.jpg

THE SIDE VIEW OF THE SCALES, NO MORE RED SPOTS!

Image054.jpg

HERE IS A VIDEO ( MORE ACTIVE NOW )

th_Video006.jpg

His condition is much better this morning. The swollen chin aint red anymore! =) and very much less floating head down! I did a 50% water change too! =), poop is brown! and he is eating much too!

After this, I will need to shop for more tail healing meds! Any other recommendations besides melafix? =)

Edited by jason_yyl

:krazy: Oh my, he's looking wonderful :D

Are you still medicating? I just want to make sure the bacteria is completely gone. His fins will heal given time and excellent water - although if you want to add melafix, I would do this. I don't think there's any need to add more meds for the finrot as this will be a side affect of the bacteria and from what I've been reading JYP is strong. Based on this, let's hope it has done its job well :)

By the way, he's such a beautiful little guy :D