Sign in to follow this  
jason_yyl

Please Help!fish Head Down Tail Up,red Gills+under Mouth Red,fin Rot

Jenw,sorry i didnt post,internet was down. I manage 2get sera baktopur n baktopur direct. I have applied both into the tank. I have moved it into a smaller basin,about 3gallon coz he was floating head down in d 10g. I hv put both d product together,12drops of baktopur and half a tablet of b.direct med. Fyi,i only just put it in now coz yesterday i cant get it. D red streaks still on d tail.

Redness on d belly,chin,wen and scales r stil there. Bt g0od news is that,it ate some bloodworms that i fed him this morning. He seem to not move much,bt the crazy bubble eating is much much less now! Howerver abit of d tail is lost perhaps due to the med. So at this point in time,2pm,he is in a basin wit aeration,sera baktopur n baktopur direct. If this dont work,shal i try potasium pormegenate?

Give these meds a good 48hrs to work and keep up the waterchanges. A smaller body of water means it'll become toxic more quickly. So either try to move him back to the 8 gallon with meds and perfect water or increase the waterchanges for the 3 gallon.

I think now is the time to try and get your test kits back because as it is waterchanges will remain a hit and miss approach. For example, Ammonia may be present in your water for several hours without you knowing it and this is where the real damage will be done :(

How long have you had the meds in the water now?

I don't think he needs pp - it's excellent for parasites and external bacterial infections/lesions but I think your fish has an internal infection that will be addressed using the Sera products.

And I know I keep harping on this Jason :) but please take care of the water first and foremost - this is what's going to help him survive the illness :)

Jenw,yes d water quality is important! That is why i thought of putting it into a smaller basin and i wil do water changes more frequently,both the sera products is in there at this time for 5hours already. I have not used pp yet. I wil let it work for 48hours. However im not sure if to change all d water or 50%only. I will get the test kit, if i get only the ph and ammonia,nitrate wil it be enuf?

Jenw,i understand the reason u telling me abnut d water quality and i wil surely keep it at the best quality. However cn u recommend me how the water changes should be for a 3g basin. If concern about the b.direct tablets coz there r only 8pieces. Secondly,what about sera baktopur usage during water change?it says put 22ml for 5galon. Repeat same amount on 3rd day and so on.

As you're treating without filter, you only really need ammonia and ph - especially as there's no nitrosomonas bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrites etc...

If you have enough meds, try to keep up the waterchanges and add the meds back so if you do a 50% waterchange, just add back a 1/2 dose of meds :)

Jenw,ive gt d sera ph n ammonia test,ammonia at 5mg/l,its d 4th highest at d chart and ph at 7.0 t0 7.3,d chart sh0w wit d both reading its at 0.03mg/l which is harmful,ive changed 100%water,now im unsure of what med 2put!please advice,

Jenw,this weird!my main tank with only one fish wit al d 3kinds of filter had a ph4.5 and ammonia 0.5mg/l..this is weird!

Jason, I think this is the biggest part of the problem and while the water is toxic, don't add any meds - it will add to the problem. I think the water quality may be the main reason your fish is ailing.

Do you know what I would do? I would clean out the 8 gallon and refill with perfect water and place him in this and nothing else. Then keep an eye on the ammonia and once it starts to appear, do more waterchanges. Try to give your guy just perfect water and only perfect water with no additives (except water conditioner).

Also, can you do me a favour? Would you be able to test whether your tap water has ammonia?

... and, can you test your ph out of the tap?

Plus, please retest your main tank... if your ph is at 4.5, your fish would be dead - so you may need to retest it. A ph of 4.5 would be like an acid bath and not many fish would survive this level.

So the things to work on is keeping your ammonia and a firm 0 plus keeping your ph stable - and 7.0 - 7.3 is a good range. See if this helps your fish because for all we know, this illness could be water related and not bacterial... In any case, the water needs to be perfect so that his immunity will strengthen otherwise he won't be able to survive ...

Tap water ph=6.5,nh3= 0mg/l,ok i wont put in any med,even salt also no?i cant move it2d 8g now coz i ran out of conditioned water coz i just changed 50%of d main tank,nd2wait until morning,coz d conditioner i use is d generic one,need 24hour for optimum water condition.the main tank nh3=0,ph=5.5-6,still weird bt the fish is fine,act like usual. D sick one is nw in d basin,poop is brown/red.

If the poop is brow/red then it's possible there's no bacterial infection and the redness you see is stress associated with water quality. Usually when a fish is ill, we always say check your water first because some of the symptoms are the same.

Most importantly, if your ph is so low, you'll need to raise it not only to avoid ph crash but also a low ph hinders the growth of nitrifying bacteria and if it gets too low, it can cease its growth altogether which may be why you're showing an ammonia reading. This could crash your cycle.

So to keep your good bacteria alive (and your fish), try raising the ph using baking soda.. What size tank is your main one? Then we can work out how much baking soda you'll need to add.

So, there's a few things that you'll need to do to get your water perfect and the first is to raise your ph slowly.

Secondly, keep your sick goldie in excellent water and watch for improvement.

And thirdly, grab yourself some water conditioner and get the 8 gallon running again. It'll help keep your water parameters better for longer :)

Hi,yes i understand what u said,my main tank is 25g. Its a miracle the fish was ok wit such a low ph! With the water level not full it will be 20g. How much to put?and what kind of baking soda? Yes d conditioned water will be ready tomorrow morning coz i put in d conditioner this morning. Is there any good water conditioner that u wil recommend?

Jenw,u mean d redness on d belly,chin,scales n gills is due to d bad water quality n not actual bacteria?oh no meaning its my fault d fish is in pain nw,sigh!..

I'm saying it could be due to poor water - but the safest way to know for sure is to eliminate it as a possibility. So get your water perfect and then observe :)

For a 20 gallon, dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda (it's basically available through most grocery stores) then add to your tank and leave for an hour... after the hour has passed, retest your water. Then post back the level and we'll see how much more you need to add :)

Hi jenw,il go get d baking soda in the morning!=),anyway jz now i did a check on d fish,he seems okay,d redness on d scales seem to be subsiding but the one on d gills n belly still remains,and d joint of d fin to the body seems very red. And lastly there seem to be some thing inside d left eye like a greyish thread. Its obvious when seen directly with the black pupil behind d greyish thing.

Thanks for your daily help and also for stressing d importance of test kits and perfect water quality,now i fully understand the necessity of it!no regrets buying that and all those meds! Lets see how d fish is in the morning!=)

Lastly,at 2am now,i noticed dat d poop r brown,no more whitish ones and there is no more crazy long bubble eating. Perhaps d bacteria all r killed!=D..but he is not moving much though,i think this is an improvement!!!

I don't think there was any bacteria if the water quality was off or if there was, an improvement in water conditions may have helped.

Don't test kits make life simpler? When you have a stressed/sick fish, they're a lifesaver - especially when you know they have to have perfect water and as we've found out, you can't guess if the water is perfect...

I'm so pleased his poop looks better and as you don't need to medicate, you can do massive changes without worrying about adding back meds or salt :)

I use Prime as a water conditioner, not only because the stuff is excellent but also because my tap water has 0.75ppm ammonia reading so I have to triple dose to get it to 0. So for me, i have no choice but to use it :)

Hie jenw,thx for the reply he looks ok this morning the redness on the scales n tail is getting less,bt the redness on the chin is getting worse,the redness has expanded n its slightly swallon,he ate some pallets bt doesnt move much,im worried he has difficulty breathing.i wil try to get my hands on some good water conditioner

The poop look brown this morning,so i think its ok,i hv changed 100%water n will move him back to the 8g when the water is ready. Im just worried about the swollen red chin and d whitish thing in d eye!however,his condition seems to be improving!

The perfect water is giving his immunity a boost now but the chin is worrying - so I would add the Sera products to the water making sure to check the ammonia often. As soon as you see anything above 0 - do a waterchange.... and add back the meds you remove.

These should help because the chin sounds like it's bacterial so meds and perfect water should hopefully help.

Do you have enough of the Sera products to allow for replacing the amounts you remove with waterchanges?

Yes its worrying,sigh!its red on d part where the chin starts fr0m d body. I hv enough sera baktopur but not b.direct,i hv left 7.5 tablets of b.direct. Perhaps there r still some bacteria left,thus he seem to be floating with the head resting on d ground lately. I will post a pic of d chin later 2show u what i mean. What to do now?

I would go with my original suggestion:

"Add the Sera products to the water making sure to check the ammonia often. As soon as you see anything above 0 - do a waterchange.... and add back the meds you remove"

So try to get him back in the 8 gallon and use both medications - then keep testing the water to make sure it's perfect and increase the aeration so he doesn't suffocate from the depletion of oxygen caused by the meds :)