Sign in to follow this  
jason_yyl

Please Help!fish Head Down Tail Up,red Gills+under Mouth Red,fin Rot

Ill see if I can make it a little easier :D

If you have 8 gallons, then you need to slowly reach 0.3% salt.

The way to do this is in blocks of 3, 12 hours apart. So we'll call those blocks Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3.

Step 1 - 0.1% = 1 teaspoon per gallon of water so for an 8 gallon tank that's 8 teaspoons which takes you to 0.1%

Step 2 - 0.2% = means adding another teaspoon per gallon and as you already have 0.1% (from step 1) your tank would have 16 teaspoons in total equalling 0.2%

Step 3 - 0.3% = means adding the last teaspoon per gallon and adding it to step 1 and 2 taking your total to 0.3% so 24 teaspoons of salt in total.

Now if we take waterchanges into consideration and it's more benificial to do 2 x 50% changes daily then you can do it this way:

- You've completed a 100% waterchange recently so you should have 8 teaspoons of salt in your tank

- 12 hours later, do a 50% waterchange and this is the time to raise your salt level so you'll add to a bucket 12 teaspoons of salt. This will be added to the 4 teaspoons that remain in your tank so you will then be at Step 2 - 0.2%

- 12 hours after that, do another 50% waterchange only this time we will take the salt level to 0.3% which means you will add back the salt you've removed and add back another teaspoon per gallon so will need to add back 16 teaspoons of salt which will take you to 0.3%

So all you need to do is:

- have 8 teaspoons in the tank now

- 12 hours later, add 12 teaspoons back to the new water when doing a 50% waterchange

- 12 hours after that, add 16 teaspoons back when doing a 50% waterchange

Just go off the simple math that 1 teaspoon per gallon = 0.1% and try to work from there :)

Jenw,that is a real good explanation. I really understand the salting procedure now. I will do that salting according to your recommendation!lets hope it works!im just worried d salting will make a negative effect on d healing finrot. Thanks again for your time writing that thorough explanation! I just fed my fish some pellets,it seems fine now bt still flashing sometimes. Pray it will heal asap!

Jason, sorry I will leave the treatment of costia up to Jen, I am not as familar with it as she is. (Thanks Jen).

Keep us posted, I hope they get better.

Hi LaurieP, its okay thanks.

I have changed 50% water and added in the salt. I wil change another 50% water when I reach home later.

Anyway I read online just now, the excessive eating bubbles on the top of the water that my fish is displaying could be columnaris! it seems that it will have white threads blowing in and out of mouth and red anal vent and eating alot of bubbles!

I will need to do a check again!!

Sigh, its so hard to identify the exact problem!

Jason, eating bubbles from the top of the tank could mean anything and I would use other symptoms as my guide in diagnosing. My fish will eat bubbles from the top of the tank and they're not ill (touch wood) and a couple of them have done this for years.

Columnaris tends to resemble fungus but is vastly different and is also difficult to diagnose. If you want to keep an eye out for symptoms, some include:

- White, gray or clear stringy-looking "fungus" hanging off the body and fins

- White or gray patches that look like mold or a slime covering, normally on the body around the dorsal fin

- White lumps around the chin and mouth often resulting in mouth rot

- Lesions anywhere on the body, sometimes accompanied by redness and swelling

Once the infection is advanced, the bacteria can begin to eat away at the scales, often leaving behind wound.

So I would base my diagnosis on these symptoms and worry less about eating bubbles from the top of the tank - especially as some fish will do this for no reason.... or from a lack of oxygen in the water.... or ph swings...... or imperfect water. So the first thing to do is check your water then go by a process of elimination :)

How does his poop look?

Hi JenW,

Perhaps I worried too much! So many problems appeared in a week.

I remember seeing a white stringy-looking thing hanging off the fin(on the one which has fin rot).

And there is a small red dot on one of the scale. I will look at that againg tonight.

The rest of the symtoms that you mentioned I have not seen before, but I will look into it tonight.

His poop looks brown sometimes, I think its normal. But usually when I go back there is a lot of whitish small thngy paritcles in the water. But sometimes his poop is whitish too. Its not consistent.

I know, we all worry and that's a good thing :D

Post back when you get home and have a good look at your fish. Also, are you at 0.2% yet? ie. 16 teaspoons of salt in total?

Hi,its now at 0.3 already,i jz did a 50%water change and added d salt! I noticed the red spot on one of the scales near the anal fin is gone,but now there is a new red spot on one of the scale very near to the gills. However the redness on the chin has reduced and there is less bubble eating now! Jenw,shall i feed it?and how long shall i continue salting?n wat do you think d red dot on d scale is?

If it's costia or some other parasite - then this could be a result of that.... or it could be a bacterial infection.

I would continue salting for 2 weeks so from this point each time you do a 50% waterchange, you add exactly 12 teaspoons of salt back to the new water which will maintain your level of 0.3%.

This is calculated as follows:

0.3% for an 8 gallon tank is (3 x 8 teaspoons) = 24 tsp then divided by 50% (each waterchange) giving you 12.

So try to keep up the salt level and monitor closely - it should help.

As for feeding, I would feed once a day - just a little to keep his strength up. To give you an idea, all he can eat in a couple of minutes :)

Oh allright,its funny dat d red spots come and go. Hope its not something else. Okay, i will just add in 12tsp tomorrow morning!=)..thanks 4d explanation again. Just observed him again,d eating bubbles still continue,i lasted for almost 5-10mins then he will swim away. Alright i will feed some peas and see how thing goes from here!will update again tomorrow!thanks!

Hooey - after reading the cautions on the product, I would avoid it if at all possible. Go with salting for the next week and watch for improvement. It sounds as though this powder is a major health hazard to you.

Just out of interest, are there any other meds available to you? Where abouts do you live? (Singapore??) I can do some research on other products less dangerous to your health :)

Hey JenW, yes that JYP is quite hazardrous but alot of hobbyist use it here cause its really cheap.

Allright, I will just stick to salting.

Yeah, I am from Spore but the fish is in Malaysia now. Thanks a lot!

Anyway, I have yet to go back home to check on the fish cause I am still at work now.

Will update again once I reached home! =) , hope he is allright!

Hi Jenw,things dont look good,d reddening has spread to the belly,even the wen that is white look abit reddish now. D red spot near d gills is still there and there is one more red spot under the chin. What shall i do now?

Firstly, is there any way you can check your water?

If the water is perfect, then he may have bacterial infection. What meds do you have available for bacteria?

Do you have test kits?

How does his poop look?

Is there any way you can do a ring around to your fish outlets and write down the meds available and the ingredients? Have you done another 50% waterchange yet?

Post back soon :)

I cant do any water test now coz d equipment is with my friend and i dont have any test kits now. The shop at my place r all closed now bt i know they have a whole range of sera products. The only med i have now is JYP. I am not well stocked sigh. Yes i have done a 50% water change just only. The poop look white and short but not much poop,and there is alot bubble eating.Please reply asap.thax.=(

If that's the case, try to get your hands on test kits because the most important part of this battle will be water qualitiy. It needs to be absolutely perfect.

Secondly, Blue has used Sera Baktopur and Sera Baktopur Direct with great success and you can use them both together. It'd try to get my hands on some of this.

In the meantime, and I know this sounds painful, but i'd do another 50% waterchange just to make sure there's absolutely no ammonia in the water. The reason I say this is when I had a 9 gallon hospital tank, the ammonia would start to appear after a couple of hours. I tested the water several times a day and found myself doing 150% waterchanges over the space of 24 hours, so I broke it into 3 changes, first thing in the morning, mid afternoon and then just before I went to bed. It was the only way the water would stay perfect.

Do you have lots of air in the water?

So are you able to get the 2 sera products? They'd be good to keep on hand, espcially for emergencies...

Ive changed 50% already and added in d salt. He seems 2 float head down even more n he dont seem wana eat. I wil go see what is in store tomorrow and i wil get the sera products. Sigh i should hv bought a new test kit. Yes i have aeration in the tank with an airstone,it should be enough. I can only change water every 12hrs coz i nd 2go work. If i use sera tmr,do i stil need 2salt?Thanks jenw!

No, I would start to remove the salt before you medicate. If you use 2 medications and 0.3% salt - it may be too much. So 2 x 50% waterchanges should dilute it enough that you can add the meds.

When you add them, you'll still need to keep up the 50% waterchanges twice daily so just add back a 1/2 dose of meds when you do them. :)

Hi JenW,

The fish still looks bad in the morning. The redness is still there and it is now always floating head down and not moving that much. It didnt eat either. I am worried it cant go through this week. =(

It will if you can get the meds quickly enough. Are you able to get to the store soon?

Otherwise, if you're game, you can try the JYP but just be careful not to touch or ingest. Also don't even touch the water. If I were in your position, I'd be so desparate for meds that i'd give it a try. Just make sure you dose correctly - not under or over the correct amount you are meant to use otherwise they don't work well and can infact cause more problems.

The only caution I want to give you is, as we don't know the quality of your water, increase the changes to 2 x 70-80% daily. The water really does need to be beyond perfect. But also, before you use this med, I'd try to remove all the salt from the tank :)

I can only get to the store later. In fact, I dont know what other products they have, I will just get the sera boktopur.

I have added some JYP! and i did touch the water, cause I submerge my hand into it to turn the fish around and and i am worried about my hand now, but i have washed my hand after that. I have changed a total 100% water but with no salt, jz some JYP. I hope that helps.

I cant wait to reach home to see how is he doing. I am really afraid when I am going to take off the cover and see a floating, stagnant fish.

Its kind of a traumatising experience opening the cover lately.

I am worried the fish wont have enough energy cause its not eating the pellets or the bloodworms.

I know that feeling well and it's very stressful. Post when you get home and hopefully the news will be good. Did you follow the dosage instructions?