Sign in to follow this  
jason_yyl

Please Help!fish Head Down Tail Up,red Gills+under Mouth Red,fin Rot

Hi guys i want to use both melafix and pimafix,but how 2mix them both?and wats d dosage?please advice..thanks!

Attention:::::: This thread has been merged with another to keep all info in one place, please continue reading. Thanks LaurieP

Jason we need for you to give us more information. Do you have a sick fish? What is going on with it?

Can you answer the questions in the box?

It is best to know all of this information before giving out advice. Thanks.

All you do is follow the directions on both bottles and add the dosage required for both the Melafix and Pimafix.For example for every 38 litres you add 5ml of Melafix as per instruction Then for every 40 litres you add 5ml of Pimafix as per instructions.It works out around 5ml for every 10 gallons for each med :)

Tho as Laurie said if you supply all the info asked for we can help you better :)

Edited by Blue

Hi,he is now in a ten gallon hospital tank.the ph level and all other reading are normal.i am not using any filter and am doing water changes everyday. My new fish is showing sign of fin rot.there are white thing on the tip of the fin.blue,so you mean i put in five ml from pimafix and melafix into the 10g together at d same time?wil i overdose it? Thanks!

Do you know what caused/is causing the fin rot? imho- the cure for fin rot problems is perfect water quality, and once the offending condition is fixed, the fins begin to heal immediatly.

No you wont overdose it.Just add 5ml of the melafix and 5ml of the pimafix.API made those meds so they can be used in combination together safely :)

Hi the root cause to the fin rot is because of stress during shipment. It reached the shop with signs of finrot on d right and left fin. Abit of d left fin went off and now there is white stuffs and abit reddish on d fin.i want 2use pima and melafix for faster cure.im not sure if its fungal or bacteria thats why i wana use both. Blue,i wil put both in tonite.hv u tried doing this b4?

Actually i wanted2use maracyn and maracyn 2,too bad cant find it here!so i hv decided2try api products..in fact i hv not used any medications like this b4,this is my first time and its making me feel worried if d finrot might not heal fast enough.so im gona try both melafix and pimafix.

If the fin rot is bad and reaching your fish's body then may I suggest you obtain Sera Baktopur and Sera Baktopur Direct as these are two meds that can also be safely used combined and are a lot stronger than the pimafix and melafix.I have used those two meds combined with great results for treating fin rot.However they should only be used in a quarantine tank as they kill both good and bad bacteria so they would wreck your tanks cycle.

Hi, the finrot has not reached the body yet.Attached is a pic. Sorry for the bad quslity!!

It looks like its better now. The whitish thing is not as much as before.

any more advice?

Image038.jpg

Hi d fish in my qt tank suddenly had red gills,under mouth red too and floatin head down. Please advice me of what to do. The water conditions are all okay,i used melafix and pimafix 4d initial finrot. But today when i came back from work,more problems appeared!how can i save this fish?i would do anything 2cure it!the fish hv no problem getting2d top or swim n eat,jz dat it always floats head down

And today it has always been g0in up 2d top of d water and as if breathing from there,i think its bcoz d gills and under mouth r now red!the fin rot seems 2b healing bt i rely dont know why in d world did another 2problem appear-float head down n red gills and red under mouth!what happened?i din even feed it alot when its in qt. Oni a few worms every 2days and peas everyday!please advice!thax..=(

More info-d qt tank is 10g,bt i din fill full.perhaps it stands at 8g. I put in 5ml melafix and 5ml pimafix everyday.feed only peas and abit of bloodworms(coz it reject d sinking pellets),and there aint no filter running.he is now in 6th day of qt and 2more problems appeared. Sigh!!i dont want to lose it!!please help!!

Jason, Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems.

If I could ask you where you are from it would help, we can advise on what types of meds and foods you have available to you.

Also if you could type out your words and not use "texting" language is most helpful. Thanks.

Now, we are going to need you to answer all of the questions in the box at the top.

Since there is no filter running on this tank, that is very bad. ARe you aware of a tank's cycle and such?

I would do a 50% water change and not add back any more meds until we can get this sorted out. Many meds can make conditions worse, especially in a tank without a filter.

Jason, since you have 2 threads running I am going to merge them together. It is somewhat confusing when the info is in more than one place.

Lets keep all related information and questions on this problem in this thread. Thanks.

Hi LaurieP,

Thanks for merging the thread.

The ammonia,nitrate and nitrite and ph level are all normal.

Tank size is 10G but its not full.(QT tank)

I am not using any filter in the QT tank.

I am changing water everyday 100%.

Only one sick fish inside and its 12cm long.

Normal water conditioners

Pimafix and Melafix as medication.

I fed it bloodworms during QT.

Unusual findings are, fin rot, whitish thing on the tip. One side of the gill abit red. Some part of the under mouth is red too.

Head sometimes down and tail up. Usually will go to the top to get air I think.

Hi, I am from Asia. And yes I am aware of tank cycle. The reason I didnt want to use a filter in the QT tank is because I am changing 100% water everyday now. The fish in the QT tank is reaching the 7th day now. The finrot seems to be healing but there is still some whitish thing on the tip and strands of white thing hangs on the tip.

Lately, the fish seems to be going to the top to breath. When I put him in the main tank with another 9cm fish, it will just remain head down and tail up, and the 9cm fish will like push him araound with its head. Is this playing or bullying? Cant be bullying cause he is much bbigger than the 9cm fish. When he was in the main tank, he always head down and tail up. then get back to normal and swims around then do back the same thing. Perhaps the 9cm fish is disturbing it.

Secondly, when i put him in the QT tank with the medications, he doesnt show head down and tail up that much but always goes to the corner of the tank and like breathing.

Just yesterday, I found out that there was a slight red on the gills and one small part of the undermouth is red. Perhaps because of that he cant breath well.

Shall I stop using the meds? or should i use other meds? please help! thanks in advance.

Just a few questions from reading this...

Are you saying that you have put this fish into the main tank with another fish? May I ask why, or did you do it before you knew that it should be qt'd?

If you have done that then if your fish does have parasites they may have been transferred into the main tank, so be sure to watch for symptoms with that fish too. If you have already exposed the fish to the main tank, maybe it would be better to treat both, but see what the experts here say about that. If your main tank is huge it may be cheaper to treat the qt tank instead or whatever. Just wanting to clear that up.

Also, most fish need to be qt'd for at least 6 weeks, so doing 100% water changes everyday with meds having to be replaced may get tiresome and expensive. See what the experts here think about moving your fish to the main tank and treating everyone, that way you'd have a cycle (is your main tank cycled?) and make sure everyone was cured since they have been exposed. Pristine water is the most important thing to help a sick fish heal.

Do you have an airstone in the qt tank? With no filter you may need something to keep the oxygen levels up, especially if your fish is coming to the top.

Are you using anything to condition the water, to remove chlorine and chloramines before adding it to the tank?

Last thing, if you can give us the exact results of your tests, rather than just "ok" or "normal" that will help us help you. Thanks!

Good luck with your fish, and see what the other people think about my idea, I am not an expert.

Yes i put it into the main tank. I dont know why I did that, mainly because I wanted to see it clearly in the main tank and that is when I found out it had red gills and the chin is red. I am pretty sure it is costia. and the movement of goin up to breath then coming down again is called flashing. sigh.

My main tank is just 25g. Sigh I didnt know there was costia. Today I will do salting on the main tank.

My main tank is already cycled.

Yes i have an airstone in the qt tank. just dont have a filter. In fact i have an extra hang on filter. and i will put that in today.

Yes I use the conditioners and leave the water for 24hours before adding it into the tank when I do 100% water change.

I will port the exact results tonight.

Thanks, jen626.

Anymore advice is highly needed now.

- my plan tonight is to change 100% water although I just did it this morning, and salt it. Since its 8g, I plan to put 3 teaspoon of salt so that it would be 0.3% and no more pimafix and melafix for tonight. Is this ok?

If it's costia, salt should eradicate it - but there's some strains that are resistent. Barring a scope of your fish, some of the most visible signs include excess rubbing, thickening mucus (slimecoat) on body, lethargy and in some cases - redness on body. It usually shows itself with the immunity becomes compromised which would make sense in this instance.

Just on the treatment, when you say you put 3 teaspoons of salt into an 8 gallon - is that the total? For 8 gallons, you need 8tsp x 3 = 24 teaspoons in total divided x 3 (ie. 8 tsp, 12 hours apart x 3).

Would you be able to reclarify?

Also, I'm assuming you've put him back into quarantine? If so, watch your other fish don't come down with the same problem although it will be dependant on the immunity of your older fish. There's a chance they won't be affected but there's also a chance they may.

Hi jenw,i just reached home,its 8pm here now. I have changed 100% water n added in 3tsp salt. Just nw when i was inspecting it,the redness is still there,on d side of the gill,chin and now there is a new red spot on one of the scales near d anal fin!is this another symptom?!i hope this cortia isnt immune to salt!i will continue on next reply(cause im online nw with my mobile phone,got text limit!)

Jenw,what i meant is 3tsp salt everyday after change water 100% everyday. Meaning when i come back at night and will change all d water and add in 3tsp salt and repeat. I have a concern now,my fish still has finrot,i think its healing,but if i add in 3tsp salt will it encourage it 2rot again?im not using pimafix or melafix now. Jenw,hw much water change and hw many tsp salt will u recommend me?

And how shall i feed it?how frequent?its hard2c them look hungry sigh. Anyway d other fish in my main tank seems fine,swimming actively as usual!no signs of bad cortia! When u said immunity has been compromised,d new red spot i found on one of d scales is that one of d symptoms d immunity has been broken?

Feeding without the benefit of a cycled filter should be decreased to a small amount once daily.

Just on the salt - adding 3 teaspoons to 8 gallons won't do a thing to costia. It needs 24 teaspoons before you may see some benefit.

The way I would do it is:

With an 8 gallon tank:

Today - 100% waterchange already complete. Add 8 teaspoons of predissolved salt to the tank (so if you've added 3 teaspoons, add another 5)

12 hours later - do another 50% waterchange and add another 8 teaspoons of salt + the 4 teaspoons removed with the waterchange back into to the tank. So 12 teaspoons in total taking you to 0.2%

12 hours after that - time to do another 50% waterchange only this time, add back the 0.2% salt (8 teaspoons) PLUS add another 0.1% so another 8 teaspoons of salt taking you to 0.3% - so 16 teaspoons of salt in total.

The salt level must be at 0.3% for it to have any positive affect. Once you get to 0.3%, it'll become easier because if you do 2 x 50% waterchanges daily, just add back 12 teaspoons of salt each time to keep your salinity at 0.3%.

Does this make sense?

Hi jenw,im sorry its kinda confusing to me with all d percentage. I remember you explained 2me before and please bear with me for awhile more. So it means after i have followed the 3days salting and hv reached d 3rd day,i just change 50%water and add in 12tsp?..i dont understand how d adding x number of tsp relates 2d 0.3% level?..and will this affect the current minor finrot? Thanks4your patience