Sign in to follow this  
Maceo

Lookie What I Got!

My wonderful big brother got me a 5 gallon Mini Bow for my birthday! He couldn't come on my actual birthday later this week so he came yesterday and spend the night. Anyway, it's new inhabitant is Medici, a blue betta with red fins, I think he's a combtail but I'm not very good at identifying bettas so maybe someone can help me out. Here are some pictures, they aren't too great because I'm not use to photographing those bow fronts, they're kinda tricky!

Here are some picutres of Medici

post-6041-1159719190_thumb.jpg

post-6041-1159719230_thumb.jpg

post-6041-1159719239_thumb.jpg

post-6041-1159719246_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the new tank! Unfortunately the pics are so blurry it's impossible to tell what kind of betta is Medici. But I'll hazard a guess and say it's a crowntail due to the visible ray extensions of the dorsal & anal fin in the 4th and 3rd pics.

What a neat birthday present to get.Medici is a beautiful color. :)

Thanks guys, I'll try and see if I can get some better pictures later and maybe that will help identify him better. I'm a little worried about him though, he is only hanging out at the top of the tank, not swimming about at all really. Is he still adjusting or is there something wrong? When I got Achilles he was so excited to be in a larger tank and he swam all over the place, that's why I'm worried about this guy. :unsure:

Guest Crush

He is very pretty. I have no experince with fish, but my room mate has been keeping fish for 22 years. She says that some bettas that you get from the store have been kept in the cup for so long, that they are scared of the new space and it will take some time for them to get used to all the room.

But anyways he is very pretty!

Congratulations! What a lovely present! :D

From what I can see, Medici has lovely colours :exactly

As for hanging around at the top of the tank, are you using a filter and has it got mature filter media or is it cycling? What are your water paramaters, particularly the Ph? Did you acclimatise him to your water, if it is very different from what he was in? If you are using a filter, is the current too strong underwater?

Can you see any other symptoms other than the hanging at the top of the tank? What was he behaving like at the store?

The most simple explanation is that he is stressed and just needs to adjust to his new environment. A 5 gallon will make a lovely home for him, but he may just need time to settle in. I would check the things I mentioned and observe him very carefully for a few days :)

Congrats on the new tank! Unfortunately the pics are so blurry it's impossible to tell what kind of betta is Medici. But I'll hazard a guess and say it's a crowntail due to the visible ray extensions of the dorsal & anal fin in the 4th and 3rd pics.

really? i'm saying he's a combtail because of the droopiness in the tail, because i have never seen a crowntail like that

What a great present!! :heart Medici is lovely!

Guest Crush

If there is a droop in the tail, he is most likely a VEILtail then, not a comb or crowntail.

:) What a great looking betta Medici is and what a wonderful brother you have :heart . He knew what to get you didn't he?

Thanks for the compliments guys! I really like him a lot! And yes Vmlola my brother does know exactly what to get me he's such good brother! He seems to be doing a lot better today he's swimming around the tank a lot more, after I grab a bite to eat I'll see if I can get some better pictures so y'all can help me identify him.

Wow that was pretty nice of your brother and pretty considerate too. Your fish is a beauty. He may be acclimating to the new surroundings. A suggestion for your next pics would be maybe put a mirror in front of him next time you take a pic to get him to flair. That way we all could get a better look at his tail fully extended and be more able to tell what tail type he is. Congrats on your new fishie

If there is a droop in the tail, he is most likely a VEILtail then, not a comb or crowntail.

Well, not really. Lots of crowns and combs have droopy tail, especially when the tail rays are not strong enough to support the weight of the tail.

After seeing the pics again, now I'm sure that Medici is a crowntail. If you look at his anal fin, it doesn't taper down to a point like a VT does, so yep no doubt a crowntail.

A suggestion for your next pics would be maybe put a mirror in front of him next time you take a pic to get him to flair. That way we all could get a better look at his tail fully extended and be more able to tell what tail type he is.

I tried that today and I got him to really flare but the pictures are all really blurry still, I think it's a combo of a not so great digital camera and the arcylic bow front tank, I don't think acrylic photographs as well as glass. But thanks for the tip. So, you think he's a crowntail d_golem? I was looking at pictures on the web and I was thinking that but I will take your advice on betta types over mine anyday! He is getting acclimated a lot better now, he is swimming around and he blew a really thick bubble nest today so I guess he's happy. I think he may have been in that tiny bowl for a long time and a 5 gallon tank was like the ocean to him!

:D Congrats on your new Betta Maceo.I think both the Tank and the Betta are pretty,and I love his name.

Betta's are kind of hard to figure out.One may adapt right off the bat,where another may take a week to start feeling comfy enough.With Medici making a Bubble Nest allready,it sounds as if he's adapting quite nicely.

Good luck! :D