What A Surprise!

d_golem

Lol what surprise I had this morning. It was raining after a few days of hot sun and my goldies decided to spray eggs all over the tank :D (male is the calico ryukin and female is unknown - most likely the black moor but the orange TVR is also possible)

I of course don't want a few hundred babies to deal with right now so I let them eat the eggs, but I did save a few that's clinging onto the river rocks and PVC pipes.

I'm not expecting much but a few tiny babies in a week's time will be delightful indeed :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick word Riz. Keep a careful eye on your mammy moor now. After the eggs she may be very weak. I lost my favorite orange telescope years ago after she sprayed 3 or 4 batches :( Don't mean to dampen the mood or anything....

It's amazing to see that egg spray isn't it! All of one second and you were there for it!

You can usually tell if they're fertilised just by looking at them. Unfertilised and they'll take on a milky appearance after a couple of days while the fertilised eggs are a bit more transparent and if you look at them with a magnifying glass, you can see some colour in them as well :D

I hope you get a couple of fry - they're such fun to watch grow :D

I know what Imogen's talking about also :( That's the saddest part about owning females, some succumb to nature when the eggs become impacted and that's the toughest part to deal with :(

Thx Imogen & Jen about the warning. I was really worried of how rowdy the ryukin was but right after she sprayed her last batch he just went *poof* no interest at all to her. She looks as good as ever now (except for slightly frayed fins, a few lost scales and my biggest concern, a scratch on her right eye).

Does a fertilized egg have a kinda yellowish colour to it?

Who said they'll hatch in a week?? They're hatching now!! Only 3 days!! :krazy:

I decided to save a bunch (about 30-40) fertilized eggs that's clinging to the "sock" I put over the filter intake. Oh I'm so excited!! I'm reading Sorsha's thread now! Woohoo!

I'll take pics if I can!

Wish me luck guys!

Hmm I sure hope that my fries are not picky like yours :D

I just counted them again and the numbers are actually closer to about 60-65 fries. Phew I'm gonna be a busy daddy the next few weeks :krazy: