Betta Foods

koko

• Admin
hi Koko,

I found another good article. This one is a list of foods for bettas. Can you put it at the top of the betta forum? thanks

I found a good list of betta food sources

A few foods to feed, so you get a quick answer:

These are foods I feed, I know there are more out there, but I'm too lazy to look em up

~ Hicari betta pellets

~ Peas as a laxitive or once a week preventitve *plus most betts love em *

~ Tropical fish flake: Not too many bettas like these, but there are exceptions

~ Betta flake: Even though it has a seafood smell, many bettas will gobble it up, as will other fish, convienetly crushed all you need to do is poke a hole in the tin cover.

~ Freeze Dried Bloodworms: not a great staple food, better left to a treat

~ Frozen/Live Bloodworms: I have heard no complaints from people or bettas about using this as a staple food

~ Brine shrimp: Although baby brine shrimp *BBS* has more nutritional value, adult brine shrimp can be fed as a conditional for breeding bettas.

~ Micro worms: A great baby food

~ Misquito Larve: Want all your fish to go nuts? this is the food for you! Newborn larve can be fed to older fry, and adluts will be greedly eaten by bettas and other fish.

There are many other foods, and brands, and types of foods that bettas will eat..But as the questions come up, they shall be answered further.

from Bettachris site

bettaqueen find approved by koko

• 7 months later...

yup green peas. They need to be salt free.(check the label) you can get frozen. That is what I used to do when I had goldies. A betta probably needs a pea only once a week to prevent constipation. Some bettas will not eat peas. Mine won't however some will. You need to nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds , let it cool and then squeeze the meat ( inner part of pea ) out and then feed the inner part to the fish

• 1 year later...
Guest pearlywhirly31

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for an official list of good food for bettas. I'm not that informed on all the different types of food so which food would be best for my betta? Such as the best staple food and then a good treat for once and a while? Another thing is that I've been feeding my betta little granules of betta feed and freeze dried bloodworms that I've had for several years. Should I chuck the old food in the trash and get new food or is it okay to still give it to him? If it's too old, after what amount of time should I replace his food? Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I even feed mine homemade gelfoods just like the one I feed my goldfish. It has a little this and a little of that in it.

I was just going to say that. Hiro, my half-moon betta won't eat anything except the gel food I made for my goldies. He and Apophis eat that as well as occasional peas and bloodworms.

• 10 months later...

My mother in law's betta doesn't like the tropical flakes or pellets, but he goes nuts for frozen bloodworms. I don't think this alone is a good diet though.

I haven't seen Hikari betta pellets in my LFS either and I doubt she'd want to order food online. She got a betta because she thought it is low maintenance and convenient.

So any ideas or tips? Could she technically just feed him on frozen bloodworms and frozen baby brine shrimp? How many bloodworms can a betta eat at once? Well, SHOULD, not can. I know there is a difference :D

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started to feed repashy as a primary diet and it's a lot better than a lot of the commercial foods. I wrote an article on diet a while ago so I'll link it here :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/betta-care/betta-diet-digestive-function-and-feeding-r328

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but wanted to post what I've learned from my reading and betta keeping.

Its best to feed your betta(s) pellets that are low in filler.  The most recommended brands are omega one and new life spectrum betta pellets to achieve this.  Sadly tetra, hikari, and aqueon are high in filler which can clog up your fish.

For frozen foods Hikari takes extra steps in their sterilizing process to keep nasties out of the meat.

There a bit of an argument over the use of peas for bettas as they are carnivorous fish and can't properly digest veggies like a goldfish can.  Its better to feed bettas daphnia if there is a constipation issue.  Another laxative alternative is to give an epsom salt bath.

Freed dried and flake foods typically don't have much nutrition and if fed straight to the fish can cause bladder issues.  If you want to feed these its best to soak them in a cup of tank water for over a minute to get them to swell fully prior to feeding.

I've read some people are hesitant to feed blood worms as they tend to be more likely to carry parasites that can take hold in the betta and cause real issues.

Other live foods you can culture for your betta include black worms (aquatic worm), scuds (not all bettas eat them though), white worms, grindal worms (good forfry/juvies but adults also eat 'em),.. some people even feed flightless fruit flies (does not work well if you have floating plants though-flies will just hop along the greens). 

Some bettas will also eat 'pest' snails but don't count on them to do it.  I've had about 1/3 of my bettas (have/had 11) eat pond, bladder, ramshorn, and even Malaysian trumpet snails.

I tried repashy meat pie for my bettas but had issues with the mixture.. when they ate ti it broke up to a powder and passed through their gills making a big mess (i feed it to my dwarf shrimp and grindal worms instead).

My current feeding regime is 2 meals a day (with 1 day a week fasting).  1st meal every other day is a meat (Hikari frozen blood worms or brine shrimp), the other meals are pellets.. typically 4 per a fish each feeding (except the giant which gets 8-9)

Edited by AquaAurora