Why Is My Goldfish Always Hiding?

ktinal900

Ever since I moved my 2 goldies to their new 29 gallon home, the small one has constantly been hiding. Seriously, he never swims around that much anymore. He's always in his little corner behind the rock and even when it comes to feeding time, he doesn't budge. He just moves around in his little area, picking up whatever food that may float his way.

I'm starting to worry. He seems healthy otherwise? Perhaps the big goldie (who chases him around and picks on him) is finally getting to him?? Or perhaps it's because the tank is still cycling?? But I've been doing regular water changes.

I am going to move your thread to the diagnosis section. There is a box at the top please answer all those questions.

It is not normal for a fish to act this way, since your tank is still cycling that could be causing severe problems. So let's make sure we keep him from getting too much sicker.

Two comets in 29 gallon tank with an Aquaclear filter, live plants. One is about 7 inches, the other 3 to 4 inches. They've been in new tank for about 2 weeks now.

Sorry, not sure what nitrate, ammonia, and nitrite levels are currently. I need a new testing kit and will not be able to make it to pet store till later this week.

But have been changing 20% of water every other day, replacing it with aged water. (Maybe I should change water every day instead??)

I feed them a few varieties of flake food and occasional veggies. I've been sinking food down in front of the little one and he readily eats them.

• Supporter

Did you have the Aquaclear filter on their previous home? If you started with a brand new filter and no media from the old one your levels are probably way out of whack. I would do a large water change right away, like 50%, and replace it with dechlorinated, temperature matched water. I would probably change 50% every other day or 20% every day until you get the test kits and know what you are dealing with.

Are you using a dechlorinator or just aging the water? If your water has chloramines in it the aging will not get rid of it, plus the dechlorinator acts instantly so no need to age the water as long as you match the temperature and ph.

If you can try to get some Prime dechorinator when you go to the pet store, It is great to get tap water ready for your tank, and it has the excellent bonus of detoxifying ammonia and nitrites in a cycling tank. it can truly save your fish. It seems pricey, but it is really concentrated so the bottle will last you longer than other dechlorinators that require you to use more.

If you have some aquarium salt on hand, or any other salt with no additives (the only ingredientg listed should be salt), that can help with nitrite stress, so you could add a teaspoon per gallon to your tank (10 teaspoons for a 10 gallon). Mix it in a bowl with some tank water until it is dissolved and add it to the tank, away from the fish and filter.

Try and get the test kits asap, and if you did not already know this the drop kits are better than the strips, more accurate and cheaper inthe long run. If you have a vvvv near you, you can print out pages of the stuff you want to buy from their website and bring them in and the store will match the prices, which are way cheaper than inthe store. Their Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Kit has all the tests you need for $13.49 if you bring the website page in and will last you ages.

What size/number is your Aquaclear filter? Ideally you want at least 10x the gallonage on your filter per hour, so for a 29 gallon you'd want a filter that does at least 290 gph. Comets are messy (lol, as you probably know!) and the more the better.

Anyway, I am blabbing on and on! I am not an expert, this is just stuff I picked up from cycling my own tanks and that may or may not be contributing to your fish's problem. He could totally still be stressed from moving, but in a cycling tank I would err on the side of caution. Good luck to you and your fish!

Thanks Jen for the advice!! Especially the one about vvvv! I was always shocked that their instore prices were way higher than online but now, wooohoo, online prices for me! LoL.

I have been doing water changes everyday and added some aquarium salt and my little guy seems to be doing better. He's been out and about, finally coming out during feeding time rather than staying in his little hiding spot. :D Yea!!

Okey dokes well maybe he isn't doing as great as I thought :blink:

He comes out more often, coming out when I feed them and for the occasional swim but for the most part he's always hiding. What's wrong??? :krazy:

My water params:

ammonia=0

nitrite=between 0.25 and 0.5

nitrate=5

ph=7.5

:unsure: What test kit are you using?

You mentioned that the tanks been only set up a couple weeks and yet you are showing both Nitrites and Nitrates. Can you test your water out of the tap to see what the readings are?

How much salt did you add,and did you dissolve it before adding it into the tank?

What size is your Aquaclear filter? What are the tank temps?What conditioner are you using to treat the water?

Does this fish have any other symptoms---raggedy/torn fins/red streaks/yawning/flashing/gasping,etc?

What test kit are you using?

API Freshwater Master Test Kit.... I followed the directions too....

You mentioned that the tanks been only set up a couple weeks and yet you are showing both Nitrites and Nitrates. Can you test your water out of the tap to see what the readings are?

Will do tomorrow (getting late LoL)

How much salt did you add,and did you dissolve it before adding it into the tank?

0.5 tsp. per gal. and dissolved in tank water first

What size is your Aquaclear filter?

What are the tank temps?

76-78 F

What conditioner are you using to treat the water?

None

Does this fish have any other symptoms---raggedy/torn fins/red streaks/yawning/flashing/gasping,etc?

No... unlike the other fish, his fins look fine... but he has had a clouded eye for a while which has been slowly getting better (i've tried treating it before but it didn't work! so now I'm trying to keep the water as pristine as possible)

:unsure: Cloudy eye can be from trauma,and it can also be from ammonia burns.It usually will heal once you begin to keep the water pristene.

Why are you not using a conditioner to treat your water?That could be why your fish is having problems..... :unsure:

His eye injury was actually the result of a scratch that he got when the other bigger fish shoved him into the gravel when they were living in their 12 gal home... for their new 30 gal tank I made sure to get smaller rounded gravel....

Dunno why I don't use conditioner... it's just that I never have in all the years I've owned goldies and they always did well.... I've never had so many problems before with my fish until now :krazy:

I tested the water from the tap and the water params were

ammonia=0

nitrite=between 0

nitrate=0

ph= around 7.2

I tested the tank water and the params were around the same as last time but with lower nitrites... ideally, nitrites are supposed to be zero, right??

ammonia=0

nitrite=0.25

nitrate=5

ph=7.5

What kind of water conditioner do you use? And I know this is kind of a silly question, but what exactly does it do to improve the water?? Will it help solve the problems I'm seeing in my goldfish now? (including Re: "Jagged Fins" post) Or what else could I do? :unsure:

Yikes. It looks kind of bloody at the base (where it connects to the body) of one of the small fish's front fins. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? :(

Archived