It's A Bit Early I Know.....

tropicana

But christmas is only 88 days away, and we all know what that means, goldfish as presents, ok this is ok if the person has a proper set-up, but most people don't consider this.

And so i thought, why not start a campaign (sp?) to help get goldfish off the present list

anyone interested?

:D

Im actually on top of things this year and have a lot bought already! Then it seems like Im not spending a lot. :rofl

:hi5 , Always good to be ahead of the rush! And I like your thought of "It seems like your not spending so much" when your not doing it all at once. :krazy:

It sounds like a good idea, but how would you prevent that? I know some animal shelters will close a day or two before christmas to prevent that kind of thing, but how would you prevent buying fish as presents?

While it is a very good idea Tropicana :) I also think it would be very hard to pull that one together. We can't stop people from buying Fish or any other pet as gift's for the Holiday's. I know we would like to stop those who don't have the proper set-up's and knowledge etc. But in reality there is not a whole lot we can do to stop them.....WAIT....

I can just see certain people on this board sitting in the LPS, Wally World etc. with a chair all set up, Ready to jump on anyone that want's to buy a tank or fish over Xmas.....List's in hand with requirement's on how to care for a GF Etc. I won't name name's, But I know there are some of you out there that are CRAZY enough to do just that too!! You know who you are.... :rofl

Lol Della!! I don't think that the employees would like that! Maybe campaigners can talk with managers of the petstores about the issue. They may let you put up flyers explaining why fish and many other pets don't make good christmas presents if they don't have the right set ups or don't think of them as more than a gift. That might be a good idea if the managers allow it.

Tropicana, I admire your passion and drive, but I too wonder how practical it will be. I suggest that thinking locally will be of more success. You said you are writing to lfs' which is a great start. The thing to remember though is in the retail world the October-January season is by far the busiest and stores rely on that business to keep them going throughout the quieter periods in the year. This is particularly so at present when consumer spending is poor. Stores are not going to be willing to turn away customers, and they may not even be able to do so financially. I suggest that when writing to them, instead of encouraging a no fish for Christmas policy to encourage that all customers are informed of the full set-up required. While this will undoubtedly turn some customers away due to budget restraints, it will also result in some customers buying the full set-up, which will result in more revenue for the store. Basically you have to word the letters carefully and appeal to the business minds of the recipients as well.

good luck.