Sign in to follow this  
LoveJesus

Can Goldfish Accidently Change Setting On Submersible Heater?

Sometimes my two goldfish bump into the submersible Whisper heater in their 20 gallon tank. It's set at 72 degrees F. Since the setting is just a lever type thing, I wonder if they could ever accidently push the lever up so that the temperature goes up too high? Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Thanks.

Very good question. I haven't the answer for you, but hopefully someone will know. I am interested in it myself.

Well, I don't normally keep a heater, but if the adjustment lever is in the water and can easily be moved, I imagine that's possible.

I would guess MAYBE they COULD.....it would have to be really easy to move. But I do not keep a heater in my tanks either!

Mine is really hard to turn, like I have to hold the filter with one hand (firmly) and try and turn the dial with a couple of fingers, certainly nothing a goldfish could bump into. So yea unless its really easy to turn/push then it should be ok.

My guppies have messed with mine before.

I really don't like that brand of heater.

ummm, maybe it's just me but my whisper submersible heater for my 10 gallon is set only to 78 degrees and can't be switched to any other setting, it doesn't even have a knob on it.

I use Visitherm,Sera,Interpet Aquatherm and Elite heaters.The Visitherm and Sera heaters dials are stiff and not easy to move.The Elite and Interpet moves easier but given its shape I can't see my fish being able to shift it.Then anything is possible never underestimate your fish.

I agree, I think it depends on how the temperature setting is adjusted as to whether a goldie could actually do it themselves. Most of the heaters I'm familiar with have a dial-type adjustor, like Blue says. I agree that a goldie would not be able to adjust dial as it always takes me one hand to hold the heater and another to turn the dial because they are usually quite stiff.

I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but I guess if the lever is easily moved, you can't rule out that a goldie could do it. The best way to ensure that things are running OK is to check the tank temperature and the temperture setting on the heater itself once to twice daily, thats what I do. Hopefully if there is any problem you will catch it. Is there any way you can secure the lever into it's set position? :)

Edited by mrbumblebee