Special On 55 Gallon Glass Tank

karla80

Hello, I've been planning for weeks now to get my goldies a bigger tank, well my aunt was at nooppee and they have a special on 55 gallon glass tank w/filter, light, etc included. Although it is a good deal, I have been trying to save up for an acrylic tank b/c they won't leak and they're lighter, but the price for a good quality 40 gallon acrylic tank is like $350.00-$400.00 not including light, whereas the special on the 55 gallon is $297.00. Should I buy or continue saving for the acrylic tank? Are there members who have had great success with a glass tank? I've been dying to get my goldies a bigger home, currently they are still living in their 20 gallon and yes it is a glass aquarium but it did have leaking issues. What is interesting is that for a while their tank was somewhat leaking until i pushed the bottom/base against the glass and the leaking stopped, also lots of prayers to God to protect my goldies. :)

thanks,

karla

glass tanks and acrylic tanks botth have ups and downs acrylic can sctatch easyly and the glass can leak all in ally if you get a acrylic tank you have change it in abount the same time as a glass but unless you take good care of the tank so it wonn;t get scrathches

Hi Karla!

Have you tried classifieds or craigslist.com? The thing with those kits is usually the filter is no where near strong enough for goldies so we have to go buy another one(or 2) anyways. Those are mostly made for tropical fish. I am partial to glass tanks myself.

Oh, I have a fluval 205 and a fluval 104, plus I'm planning on getting a Marineland Penguin 350B Power Filter, so there would be about 635 gph of water filtered out. I just do not know if it is worth it to buy a glass aquarium if acrylic is better quality. Right now I can afford to buy the 55 gallon while they're at a special price but if acrylic is better, I will have to wait a while.

I could check the PennySaver, I do not know if craigslist.com offers any service in Canada. To be honest, I've been a little hesitant buying used tanks, I guess I worry too much.

Do all glass tanks eventually leak?

Thanks

Karla

Thanks sooo much for all the help Glitterfish and dengundam, I was hoping to make a decision by today and I think I will take a chance and buy the glass tank, I just wanted to know others experience w/glass vs acrylic and given Glitterfish's experience w/7, I guess it all comes down to taking good care of the aquarium and luck.

Thanks again :D

karla

Guest andbigdaddy2

Check vvvv there 55's are 100 bucks with hood and light you cant beat that and you can use the extra 190 to buy better stuff than would come in the kit.

Edited by andbigdaddy2

:( Hello, unfortunately i did not realize how big the 55 gallon is w/stand. The tank is about half my living area and that is the biggest room i got in this apartment. I may be getting rid of one of my couches, so if i can then i will have the space. I may just get a 40 gallon but i'm not too sure. I hate getting excited over stuff just to find out it won't work out. Thanks for the help though.

I'm still hoping to get it but i do not know how long the sale is going to last.

andbigdaddy2, is the sale in U.S. or Canada b/c I live in Canada and the 55s would cost a bit more but I'll check vvvv here just in case they have good prices.

thanks

karla

Guest andbigdaddy2

andbigdaddy2, is the sale in U.S. or Canada b/c I live in Canada and the 55s would cost a bit more but I'll check vvvv here just in case they have good prices.

Yes thats 99 american whats that liks 130 canadian? 99 bucks is the regular everyday price at vvvv its like 110 us for a black one

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, there is a petstore near my place that is selling 33 gallon tank w/stand for 321.99 and 50 gallon tanks w/stand for 349.99, so I may just pick up one of them since the stand is included. I think maybe the 33 gallon since it will fit in my apartment, plus my goldies will have an extra 13 gallons to play in, so that is not too bad. But my mom has told me that she would like to have my sofas since hers are worn out and she had her floor done and she feels that my sofas will match the floor. If she takes them soon, I will get the 50 gallon. Just hope it is still for sale.

Anyway, I will post pics as soon as I decide which tank and have set it up.

Thanks again for all the suggestions/advice.

karla