Suction Cups That No Longer Work

JenW

I have found that when airling tubing or even intake stem suction cups are no longer 'sucking' there's a neat but simple way to get them back into shape. Just soak them in boiling water for about 1/2 an hour and they'll reshape somewhat to their original form. I just did this then while doing waterchanges and was about to toss them out but thought I'd try boiling water first :D

I don't know if this has already been discussed but I'm chuffed it worked :D

This post has been promoted to an article

:blink: Do you never sleep Dear? :rofl

Actually Jen,it is a good idea,and one that I have done before myself,and it does work unless the things are totally dry rotted and ancient.I tried it long ago because I could never find "extra's" at the Pet Store,etc.

Anyway,it's a good tip-that I've never seen actually posted so great idea!!! ;)

I'll have to try that too. When you say boiling water, is it a full rolling boil or just a lightly simmering boil?

I just placed them in hot water from the tap. I did keep refreshing it so it stayed nice and hot though :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I will have to try that with some of mine that are not sucking as well as they should. The suction cups that came with my intake and output for the Eheim are almost flat, not cone shaped like they are supposed to be. Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...

Suction cups loosing their plasticizers and getting hard and not sucking are the BANE of my existance. I replace sooooooo many of those suckers - or NON-suckers -

I will have to try this.....

:)