My Fish Bit Me!

dengundam

mine always bite me.

i rember when i was at the beach, there were all these minnows there and they would nibble on your toes and feet, and every time one would nibble on my sisters foot, she'd freek out LOL

My Dojo Loach loves nothing better than to nibble on me when my hand is in the tank his whiskers tickle :D

However fish bites can cause injury there is a case in this months practical fish keeping where a piranha bit right into his owners finger during transfer to a larger tank.

Edited by Blue

My fish nibble me all the time, it's cute, sometimes I think we're bonding or something, but I know that's because they think I have some food in my hands. They're just so greedy for food :D !

a piranha bit right into his owners finger during transfer to a larger tank.

:rofl That is hillarious! :ignore

My fish used to bite my fingers, but now I guess they know it is not food. ;)

It wasn't funny for the guy the piranha bit right down into his knuckle,broke the capsule in his knuckle,chipped the bone and also through the nerves in his finger.Most of the nerves in his finger tip is apparently damaged and can take up to 2 years before all feeling is restored says the article in PFK.

I love it when my goldies nibble on me. Chubber likes to nibble at the inside of my arm when I'm vacuuming the tank. They just nibble though not bite like my female betta. She actually jumps out of the water and grabs onto your finger. She's so tiny you barely feel it, but she has enough grip to hang out of the water for a split second before falling back in. When I'm vacuuming her tank she charges my hand, grabs a hold of it and jerks away like she's trying to break off food. :rofl I might actually be afraid of her if she was like 100 times bigger. :heart

A pirahna bit my lfs guy a while back. He was feeding them and it jumped up and took a chunk out of his knuckle. He said it hurt like heck but he also found it amusing. It's not the type of on the job injury that you normally hear of!

I have been startled a time or two when I had my hands in the tank & a curious goldfish "smooched" my hand. But I am sure they cannot cause ANY damage. Now as for a Pirranah you have to be nuts to put your hands in their tank without netting them first....they are meat eaters WITH TEETH!!

I haveheard of people who like them ALLOWING theirs to nip the end of a finger......like a club thing!!! When I was young & lived in Virginia there was an older man that had a fantastic fish store. He was missing the end of his index finger.....he had ALLOWED a Pirranah to bite it off ON PURPOSE!! I always thought that pretty wierd, but he knew EVERYTHING about keeping fish!!

Edited by Jeana727

:) Yes, my goldfish are always after my hand and fingers when I have my hand in the tank for cleaning or just putting the food into their dish. Also I feed them the frozen bloodworms from my fingers so I do not have to drop the whole cube in at once. My guys are such pigs I could see one sucking the whole cube into their mouth at once. Talk about a "brain freeze" :rofl

But I think they become so used to us and seeing our hands and arms in the water they are just looking for what they love most, Food.