Whats Your Favorite Gourami

dengundam

Are you kidding? I could never pick one favorite gourami because I love them all! I've only ever kept the sparkling and honies, but out of those two my favorite is the sparkling. Am I the only one with this species of fish on this forum? Here's a photo of my girl: Sparkle.jpg

I hope to have a large tropical tank when I get older and I will definately have gouramis. My favorite that I have not owned is the moonlight gourami: http://www.akvaryum.us/fresh-pictures/Tric..._microlepis.jpg I love pearl gouramis too: http://fins.actwin.com/fresh-pics/pearl_gourami.jpg And if I ever got a heated pond, I would SO get a pair of giant gouramis: http://www.aquarticles.com/images/China4b/...t%20gourami.jpg http://www.scz.org/animals/g/pic/gourami2.jpg

That photo of the licorice gourami is very pretty, but from what I understand, only males look like that in spawning conditions sometimes.

I don't know what's "normal" or not...I don't think the dwarf color patterns even have names. I just call them red/blue striped, red, neon blue, cobalt blue, etc. Their faces make them look prehistoric to me :)

I wanted the all neon one but they didnt have them :( the one i got is cool tho! :)

Question: Are gourami's usually shy (mine seems to hide from me whenever i come up to see him)??

Most gouramis are pretty shy at first, so just be patient since he's new. How long have you had him for? Sparkling gouramis are especially known to be very shy, but after a while she realized that my presence often brings food. She's not as rambucntious as my tetras that she's with, but she's really come out of her shell and I'm proud of her.

As long as he's not acting sick I wouldn't worry. Just move slowly when you are near the tank.

I have had him for almost a week now, he is in my 12 gallon qt with 6 glowlight tetras. All of the fish seem shy...they don't notice the food until it sinks :unsure:

Sometimes it does take a while for them to adjust. How long have the tetras been there? If they are new and shy, they are probably making the gourami nervous too. In my tank, I already had the tetras for a while so the were outgoing, active and comfortable. When my gourami saw that, she relaxed and I think that is why she adjusted so quickly.

I bought them at the same time...as soon as they're done with the quarantine they're going in the 37 gallon with 6 danios & 6 rasboras...im worried about the food competition...the danios & rasboras eat really fast.

The tetras and gourami can move really fast if they need. As long as nothings wrong (which I don't think there is by the description), they should catch on in the main tank and learn to eat quickly. Just be sure to spread the flakes over the surface to be sure everyone has a fair chance.

yeah, i figure they'll catch up once they see that there's competition in the tank.

-btw ur Sparkling Gourami is gorgeous!! i've never seen those in the lfs around here!

Thanks :) I've only seen them for sale at mom and pop fish stores. I guess that's good though, because I hear these little jewels can be pretty sensitive to poor water quality. The only sad thing is that these fish have short life spans and rarely live longer than a year or two.

Anyways, we're back on topic now! :BTT <--Off topic nazi hehe. Who else has a favorite gourami?

Archived