Triops O.0.o

x-Lucy-Fish-x

Did you know they are called that because they have three eyes?! (I added some eyes to the title :D )

Anyway..

I bought some Triop eggs today, as I've heard people talking about them online and they look really cool. So I think I'll try my hand at raising them.

The instructions are REALLY specific. they go on about not using dechlorinated water, only spring water or they will die.. is that true or are they just trying to sell more water!?

It comes with a thing that looks like a teabag, they say it is a water conditioner with all the nutrients they need in the first 8 days.

It also said, they dont hatch if they are in more than 1 litre of water.. is that true?

..aaalso.. they say they only live for a few weeks.. but I think someone said that theirs lived for longer. Maybe its because the intructions say "they must be kept in a small plastic or glass tank" And suggest 1 gallon as a good size.

Since they apparently grow to about 2".. I guess they need more water than this.. and if I give them that they will live longer right?

I'm thinking of splitting the tub of eggs and raising one lot on their intructions and one lot on my instincts/fish/creature/keeping knowledge and see which is right :D

Anyone else ever tried these things?

Heres a link (or two) for people who havent got a clue what I'm talking about..

http://www.sciencematters.biz/images/produ...triop_world.jpg

The file name here says 'dead' ..i'm not sure if the thing is actually dead.. but it shows what they look like :D

http://www.ooine.com/Image/triop_dead.jpg

Yep :D I think I'm going to just do it how it says on the packet. As I've been reading around online and there are a lot of success stories with doing it that way.

I set them up a little tank just now and I'm waiting for the conditioning bag thingy to do its thang.. then the eggs will go in, in the morning. :)

My little sister had those one time. They were pretty cool. She was all squealy and excited when they hatched and she could see them swim around. She didn't use spring water, she used our tap water (comes from our pond. No chemicals or anything)

Cooooool! I've heard of Triops but I never really researched them or saw a photo. They look so interesting, I love it! It would be insightful to split the batch and test the methods of raising them. Tell me how it goes because I want to try! Do they breed in freshwater?

Yeah, I think they are freshwater creatures.. hmm I think.

Apparently they will hatch, grow, lay eggs then die.. and if i let the sand in the tank bottom dry out for a couple of months then add water, their babies will hatch. :D

I've read they prefer murky dirty water, so maybe I need to let go of fishkeeping instincts and let it get manky in there..

The eggs are going in in a few minutes, so should be hatching tomorrow sometime :)

I did all the eggs the way that they suggested, with the spring water etc. As someone told me that something to do with the eggs.. they have little pores in which soak up the water after being dry.. and tap water has big molecules or something :blink: which dont fit in the little holes, so the eggs wont hatch in tap water.

I got some pics of the little white dots! I'll upload those later, when I have time.

There is quite a high hatch rate, there weren't that many eggs and it looks like most have hatched.. umm.. about 20.. most of them will probably eat each other though..

Wow, I have never seen these before. They look very interesting. They look a bit like the aliens that stick to your face and lay eggs in the movie 'Aliens' :yikes I have not seen them here in Australia. Keep us posted as I am curious to see how you go Lucy. Good luck with them :goodluck

OMG I cant believe how fast these things grow!!

I have some quite good pictures, I am trying to get them onto photobucket, but it always stops loading halfway through and gives up.. but I will try. I might have to save them in paint or something.. I have a feeling the file size is too big.

i started a triop culture about 2-3 weeks ago and now they are all at least one inch long. i got 4 that made it to the size of being "scoopable" without being eaten. i think they are really cool and fun to watch. i tried feeding them omega one pellets and they loved it. even thou the package says only use the green and brown. i dont even crush the pellets and they just carry the whole pelet around until its gone :P

OKAAAAAAY! :D

These are of the other day. I've circled each Triop in red..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/fishiephotos/new1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/fishiephotos/new3.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/fishiephotos/new2.jpg

In this one.. erm. You cant really see them. It was when they first hatched, so it shows that they went from hardly visible to what you see in the above pics in about 2 days :o

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/fis...andstuff002.jpg

I have newer ones of the last 2 days.. but they are still on the camera.. so.. coming soooooon :D

Those are cool. I got a couple packs the other day, they were on sale at nooppee for .50. I put the water out and now its just getting to the right temp. I cant wait, I think they are really cool/pretty looking.

Good Luck with yours!

The tea bag thing is what they call the 'water conditioning bag'. I have been told by someone that it is what infusoria grow on to feed the newly hatched Triops. :)

They are in a 1 gallon tub with 1/2 a gallon of water at the moment. It said they wouldnt hatch in anything more than a quater of a gallon and to fill it up on the 8th day. Although I've been filling gradually during the week.

I will move them to something bigger, like 2/3G.. maybe 5 if loads of them survive. Apparently they eat each other a lot. I have about 12 still left, but will probably end up with about 3..

Get some!! :D

lol :D hehehe, a few have actually dissapeared :blink: They are very big now, I might even be able to get some decent detailed pics of them.

I'm so busy this week, so they may be up here tonight or another night.. :D

Well mice are about 4 days old now and there was a lot of them, but it started going down, and than I found who was causing this. Along with the triops, 2 little ugly nasty white wormy things hatched too, I think they might be eating them. There are only like 2 triops left and I have seperated them, but I dont think they are going to make it. They are not growing much at all.