Gravel

Guest Leenie

I have no knowledge on gravel and i was hoping that somebody could help me get the scoop on it. Should i have it? if i do how often should i rinse it? Or do i even rinse it at all? Anybody who knows anything about gravel i would love to hear what you have to say:)

Hi Leenie, gravel is useful as it houses bacteria and traps debris allowing it too decompose. You can vacuum up the waste in the gravel when you do your water changes using a gravel vac, which is a type of hose siphon you can get at your pet store. It is not recommended to remove and rinse the gravel.

I prefer the artificial gravel that comes in different colours, specifically designed for aquariums, available at the pet store. It's not just for the colours that I prefer it, it is not as sharp or jagged as some natural gravel and doesn't grow as much algae on it. Hope this helps.

I prefer the artificial gravel that comes in different colours, specifically designed for aquariums, available at the pet store. It's not just for the colours that I prefer it, it is not as sharp or jagged as some natural gravel and doesn't grow as much algae on it. Hope this helps.

Hi Annette!

I was just wondering, how to you you know if it's artifical gravel. Does it say it on the label? I haven't noticed that it is available from my LFS, but it sounds alot safer for GF

Yes Selena, often it is dyed in bright colours but I've found Aqua One makes subtle and pastel colours, for example I mixed several shades of green; mint, karki and dark green to get a good look. It is actually an artifical substance, not gravel at all, but it doesn't crumble and get as dusty or cloudy as natural gravel either. More expensive though.

Here are some more opinions on gravel:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...topic=51636&hl=

Edited by Fishmerised

I have aquarium gravel from the pet store, but I know there are at least a few people that go "barebottom," too. I've heard arguments for both, but I think it's mostly a matter of opinion. I personally wouldn't use anything that isn't specifically labeled for aquarium use.

I've heard people say barebottom is better because you don't trap fish waste and old food that way. On the other hand, if not kept up with, they can quickly become unsightly because the debris sticks out like a sore thumb on the bare glass surface.

I definitely would follow the other advice here: Don't remove and rinse your gravel. Besides being way way too much work, you could destroy the beneficial bacteria that colonize on them. I definitely would use a gravel vacuum/siphon when changing the tank water. This will keep any waste in the gravel to a minimum and help maintain water quality. A simple version is usually only a few bucks at the pet store.