Sign in to follow this  
l_lds2006

Breeding Stars?

hiya~

I was wondering is it possible for a male goldfish to have breeding stars on their chins? I have noticed a few little breeding stars on his pectorial fin and some that look like they are on his chin too as it is not ick these are bright shiny lil speckles none of my other goldfish have these speckles! has anyone ever seen these before ? also he is swimming normal eating normal and he is not rubbing any rocks or nothing abby norm

Edited by Jillian

nope they only get them on the gills. are you sure it isnt any kind of parasite or disease?

It would be unusual for those spots to be breeding stars but perhaps they are some sort of natural markings?

It would be unusual for those spots to be breeding stars but perhaps they are some sort of natural markings?

hiya~

I think it actually maybe as they are almost the same color of his head and wen color but they just are really speckle shiny like but i know on his pectorial fins he does have the breeding stars but dont have them on his gills yet wonders how long its takes for those the show could it be possible that he is preparing to getting ready to spawn with a female in my tank as i know that female goldfish do release 2 sets of pheromones preovulatory and postovulatory and male goldie can discriminate between the 2 so could be hmmmm wonders

I have noticed that the breeding stars on the pectoral fins are more or less permanent but those on the gills come and go. Once you see stars on the gills you know he is ready to go. :)

and he is my biggest fish my lemon head oranda and i dont know if i have other males in the tank but i know i got a female in there will find out soon lol as they will do their lil love dance :rofl and i'll be freaking out worrying if fry will survive but thank god i put live plant in so i can easily just get the eggs outta the tank quickly

Good luck, do you have anywhere prepared to raise the prospective fry?

/yeah i have another smaller tank and i have live plants in the main tank and well i know i have 2 males in tank at like last night @ 4 am they two males were chasing a female on and off my black is a male and my other male is a calico and the female is calico