Can Goldfish Be Grumpy Old Men Or Sulky Teens?

Peanuts

Chris, my 1 year old LionHead is a beautiful fish, he?s starting to develop some really nice head growth and everyone that sees him comments on how cute or lovely he is. But all he ever does is sits with his back to the entire world and his head hidden in a corner of the tank. He?s chosen a part of the tank where there is more pebbles and plants that screen him and he totally ignores the other fish and sits for hours and hours ?contemplating?.

I?ve tried to encourage him to move around by rearranging the tank and ?His corner? but all this does is aggravate him and he?ll just go and sulk in another corner or try to put the offending items back to where they should be, Even if it?s a large rock (Which is what he?s doing now, he?s trying to nuzzle it out of his spot!)

He?s a good swimmer, when he wants to be, and he?s always the first on the scene when it?s feeding time, he?ll even do the ?feed me dance? and he?s as active as the other fish, again when he wants to be.

So basically I?m wondering if this is ?Normal Chris? behaviour or should I be worried?

It sounds to me like Chris is very territorial or insecure and likes to be in his "comfort zone". Whatever the reason I think it's just his personality and normal behaviour for him. As you said, he is an active swimmer and feeds normally, he just likes to "contemplate" in his spare time. lol

Thanks Fishmerised you've put my mind at rest. :D

Fuzzy Peaches: It's strange isn't it, how they have these little personalities? But i swear if Chris was a person he'd be a Goth! He'd be the teenage boy sitting in his room dressed head to toe in black while i screamed at him to turn his music down. Either way i love my Chris!! :heart

Molly my pearl is the one that likes to get her face shown, she's my little prima donna.

Edited by Peanuts

Guest gFishOnTheBrAiN

I used to have a fantail named Sylvester. Before he went to live with his "aunt", I noticed he had a distinct personality - a little moody when he didn't get his way, which is why I named him after my Dad. :P He liked to have the tank to himself - no matter how big it was. If I made him share with another goldfish, when I went to feed them, he wouldn't eat in front of me. He was so miffed @ me, he would wait for me to leave the room and, when he thought I wasn't watching, he'd eat. If he was alone, however, he'd be an absolute hog during feeding time. But not if I dared to make him share his "room".

Really, I'm not crazy. :blink:

My new fish, who I won on eBay, has a bit of attitude herself - which is probably how she survived 27 hours in transit!

~ Tre

Edited by gFishOnTheBrAiN

• 1 month later...

Thank goodness, I thought I was crazy for noticing my different fish tended to behave differently...

And here my family laughed at me for anthropomorphising them....

"No really! Socrates is the food hog, Edward's the boss fish, and Nietzsche has no fear of humans! Look!"

My orange ryukin, Zoomer is the only one of my goldies to go and face the corner of the tank. He does this several times a day. Just sits there alone. My dad was here and joked that he was "brooding". Now more often I call him Brooder than Zoomer. :)

:) I think they all have their own little personalities and quirks, just like us! :rofl

Is it just me, but everytime I'm reading through a thread and I get to a post from budbudford, I'm there forever because I find myself watching David Hasselhoff's head with MC Hammers' body gett'in down!!!! :rofl

Something about it grabs my attention and I forget what I'm reading about! Its great!

I have exactly that fish...He has this look that says...Get me out of this tank I'm surrounded by idiots! Then he'll get snippy and chase everyone around...Then sulks some more. He's such a beautiful fish but such a cranky little creep sometimes. :heart

My Common, McFish, is a grumpy one. At feeding time he always chases Angus around, as he wants all food by him self. But Angus is a big strong fish, I don't have to worry about him. But they sure have their personalitys!! :D

My orange ryukin, Zoomer is the only one of my goldies to go and face the corner of the tank. He does this several times a day. Just sits there alone. My dad was here and joked that he was "brooding". Now more often I call him Brooder than Zoomer. :)

He's probably plotting to conquer the world. :)

Guest Halloween

My big Oranda Clarice LOVES to share her room. I put another of my Orandas in with her and the new fish unknowingly swam into her sleeping spot at one end of the tank and instead of chasing her out or attacking her, Clarice joined her, and they slept there for the night. The same fish has some nasty SB issues and whenever she floats at the top, Clair is up there with her, just gliding along wherever the current takes them. These two touch eachother all the time too. I think they're best friends.