Had A Fire In The Kitchen

love goldfish

Had a kitchen fire on Monday, my son was waiting for little oil to heat up to deep fry some fries and he wasn't paying attention and had a fire where behind stove wall was burned and cupboards above also, alot of smoke damage in the kitchen and the popcorn ceiling in the dining room. There was alot of smoke, of course the fire department was called and they cleared out the smoke from the house. The insurance adjustor is going to come monday with the contractor and they will be starting to fix things by Wednesday. Now I have to move my goldfish into a plastic container and move my 55 gallon tank into the living room until I can move the fish back into the kitchen. Should I use the water in the tank, not sure if any soot from the fire ended up in the tank, or should I use fresh, conditioned water at same tempurature when I put them in the plastic container that I have. I will be able to use the filter on the container with no problems, I will just make sure I cover it with a sheet because of all the dust, even though they will put plastic inbetween the kitchen and living room.

On Sept 11, can you believe the date, even though I live in Canada, I had a very bad day. Had a cortizone hip injection that I get on a regular basis, but very painful, my 18 yr old son lost his job and then the fire. It was the very first fire for me and very terrifying. I am ok now just wanting the damage to be fixed so I can rearrange my kitchen cupboards and get on with my life. Took 2 full days to clean the walls, ceiling, stove, and floor. Tonight finally got to the dishes, had to clean all the dishes from the cupboards that were near the stove. Dishes are everywhere since I can't put them in the cupboards, not sure how much of the cupboards are being replaced, sure that the ones over the stove will be, but I rent and the lanlord might want to change the others to match. Trying to be patient but my lanlord is known to take forever to do anything. Took 3 yrs to replace the range hood and now it is toast so now I have to get another to put up after repairs, at my cost, plus have to pay the deductible with the insurance company. But glad I don't have to pay for all repairs.

I would just take the filter - cleaning the cartridges/floss/sponges carefully - and not any of the water.

Smoke is make up of a fine particulate of charred materials - that which is burning. Consider the fact that paint, plastic, oil and other things you would NOT want in your lungs were all turned into a charred aeresol of toxins. That all ended up in the water of your fish tank. It was in the air your air pumps pumped into the tank. Even the finest of particulates have been incorporated into the water. The fish are now living and breathing in that stuff. You do NOT want any of that for you, your son or your fish. So dump the water.

Keep a close eye on the plastic container. You may wish to feed only every other day or even every 3-4 days - a very light feeding. The fish will be fine - they will not starve - and the water parameters will stay the better for it.

Check those water parameters daily.

I am so sorry - what a big pain - a fire is so scary and afterwards, such a mess to clean and repair. :hug

We got the clean up done. I will be moving my fish into the plastic container tomorrow, it is a biowheel filter, I thought you were not supposed to clean the biowheel, Should I clean it out anyway. Found out that we will have to pay the condo association, since I am a renter and it was my son's fault, we are responsible for the deductible and all repair costs, which will probably be 13000.00. Any my son is responsible since he is over 18 yrs old. But at least in the next couple of days they will start repairs which will take up to 3 wks. I was so stressed out, for my son with the financial part, that I went and bought some beer, which I don't usually do when I am stressed. My lanlord will be paying the 2500 deductible which my son will have to pay them back for, but at least no one was hurt.

The thing is that I was going to be getting paint from my lanlord so I could paint room by room, now the whole house will be painted because special cleaning of smoke damage and special smoke primer will have to be used before painting.

Archived