Sign in to follow this  
tmntfan2003

Is Taking Care Of A Goldfish

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is taking care of a goldfish Natural or Un-Natural?

• Natural
    • Un-Natural

I'm not sure what you mean :(

Do you mean does looking after GF come naturally to me?

My uncle said, "its not natural to keep pets, animals should be free." He also asked, " do you think that fish wants to be stuck in a tank?" I just said, "I dont know." :( I was thinking maybe the fish just wants to be were the food is. Kind of like me :P

I dont know. My uncle kind of upset me. I've never really had a pet. But sometimes I feel bad because sometimes it does seem unnatural keeping a goldfish from the wild. But is it cruel?

i think it's "cruel" when they're not being fed, their water is dirty, they're crowded, etc. but it's not cruel when you take good care of them. that being said, it's not "natural" to have ANY pets, i guess. right? domestication, by definition, is not "natural."

i think our fish are happy anyways :D:heart

Guest P&L

They're a ###### sight better off in your tank than bought as a present for a five year old who will attempt to clean them out with washing up liquid or something disasterous. They're also better off than the ones that don't get sold and die in the pet shop.

Your uncle's opinion is just that, opinion. I think that looking after a pet is one of the most rewarding things you can do and domestication of animals for hunting and other things has been going on for centuries. Keeping them as pets- companions -is common as anything.

If nobody had any pets and we released all the current ones into the wild (natively of course) then I'm sure that all the fancy varieties of cats, dogs, fish and whatever else would be extinct in no time (relatively speaking) because they have been bred to be kept and do not compete with the wild versions.

Also never let anybody- especially loved ones -influence your decisions (unless it's something like not running in the road). If you like to keep fish then you bloody well keep fish. If someone close to you doesn't approve then they'll have to lump it because I'm sure there are things that they do which you wouldn't agree with. It's all about being yourself at the end of the day.

Hmm, looks like the idea of being told what I like to do is wrong winds me up ;) No worries, rant over.

Pete

Edited by P&L

I don't beleive fancy goldfish would fair to well anywhere else. They were breed to be kept by humans.

Yeah, fancy goldfish are not wild fish and most would probably die in the wild (depending on where in the world..).

Certain pets are breed to be just that, pets. So if you did what your uncle said and let all pets be free, they would not survive in the wild as they wouldnt know the first thing about survival. Certain pets have the dependence on humans.

Your uncle does have a fair point as i feel this about birds, but sometimes its crueler to let them go in to the wild than to keep then with us. :)

Tara

As long as you research the proper care of any pet, I really don't think that there's anything wrong with humans keeping domesticated animals. Especially considering that we're decimating natural habitats left and right. Since goldfish really don't have a place in the world other than in human care, I think it's natural for them to be kept as pets.

Now wild-caught fish are a different story for me. A lot of the mass fish catching operations really damage the environment especially in places like coral reefs. Harsh, careless methods are used that usually cause quite a bit of destruction. On the other hand, I've known people in my area that have caught and kept local species that are commonly caught for food and I don't really have a problem with that if they are in an appropriate sized tank with appropriate care. Afterall, that's better than being on someone's dinner plate, right?

I don't think keeping goldfish is natural as the fancy types people tend to keep would never have existed if it wasn't for the goldfish keeper. There is little natural about them. They are basically bred to maintain what started as a mutations (e.g the bubble-eyes's bubble eyes, the fantail's short body). These fish were selectively bred to live in tanks, and like others said, would not fare well elsewhere. I wouldn't like to think how long a delicate fish such as the bubble-eye would last in a river. Having said all that, just because it isn't natural doesn;t mean it is wrong. There is very little in our lives that is natural. The food we eat, the clothes we wear, the television we watch, the houses we live in... none of this is really "as nature intended". Unless we stop wearing clothes and go live in a cave we aren't going to get anywhere near "natural".

Goldfish can reliably be traced to have been domesticated and kept by man for well over a 1000 years. The goldfish is no longer a creature that could live or should live "in the wild". It is a domesticated creature, genetically manipulated for the pleasure of man, bred to be kept in ponds or aquariums and carefully tended.

To "turn a goldfish loose" would be a death sentence.

i think it is alright to keep goldfish just make sure they are happy and also that u are too. :):)

I personally think that no living being should live in captivity, of course except for criminals. Unfortunately when an animal is born and raised in captivity, that is the only life he/she knows therefore it would be more inhumane to "free" them since they will be unable to handle predators or get food. At least this is my opinion.

I think realistically, when people first started housing goldies as pets it was unatural but as the years go by and many were bred in a confined environment, it has now become natural. :)

karla

well fancy goldies were bread to live in tanks and not to live in the wild so i picked natural :)

Hhhmmm, let's see goldies can live in our tanks, where we work hard to to keep the water perfect, feed them the best diet available, and spoil them rotten OR they could be regular fish & fend for themselves!

Animals have been kept as pets since cavemen! You wouldn't take a Toy Poodle and release it into the wild! Animals meant to be pets have been structured differently over the years. I don't see that as a bad thing!

If anyone wants to they can spoil ME like my goldies get spoiled!! :exactly

Guest invertedsilver

double tailed goldfish don't exist in the wild.

As long as you care for your animals and strive to give them a healthy, clean living space, and mind you, one large enough, you aren't doing them any harm.

Keeping goldfish in bowls is crule.

Keeping fancy goldfish in an aquarium isn't natural or unatural. It's...kinda inbetween. Like everyone said, a fancy goldfish woul not survive in the wild because they are bred to be pets. Its up to the owner to take good care of the fish. Now with fish that are not bred like fancies and DO live in the wild (like most tropicals), it is unatural to an extent. They were made to swim in a lake, stream, or pond, not a small glass rectangle. That is why it is important to take good care of your fish, not to overcrowd, and do not buy wild caught fish. Almost all mairne fish are caught from reefs by releasing cyanide into the waters, stunning the fish and harming the reef. More than 50% of captured marine fish die from the cyanide or during shipping. That's why you've got to be even MORE careful with marine fish. Keeping wild-caught animals in a cage or aquarium is not natural, so if you do keep them, you must try to make their tank resemble their habitat as much as possible, in looks and water chemistry. Try to select fish that can be bred in an aquarium.

I think it is un-natural to keep any type of animal from their "natural" habitat. But if you take care of the animal and nurse it I dont think they will be upset about taking care of.

And they enjoy being by people.. like how fish and dogs greet their owners and are happy to see them.

Edited by Carmel

I kind of feel sorry for fish the most because they can really never leave their "cages." Dogs and cats can go from room to room and be walked, etc. Birds can be let out of their cages to fly free in the room. Hamsters, etc can be let out to run around. But poor fish have to stay in the same box for their whole lives. I would love to take my fish out and daily put them out in a rubbermaid in the sun for a while, but I know that the netting and the water change would be bad for their health and they would be really stressed.

Oh well. Life is not fair for animals or people.

I have read in a book that life in captivity for golfish is the same life they would live in the wild. Exept without predators of course. I think they live a better life in a well kept tank, with food every day and friends! :bingo:

good point mariah

There is very little in our lives that is natural. The food we eat, the clothes we wear, the television we watch, the houses we live in... none of this is really "as nature intended". Unless we stop wearing clothes and go live in a cave we aren't going to get anywhere near "natural".

Everything in our lives is natural. By the laws of nature, we as a species are here to survive.. and we are intelligent enough to make clothes to keep us from getting hypothermia and houses to protect us from the weather and predators. If we stopped wearing clothes intentionally with the knowledge that we might get cold and die, thats not really natural. As nature for us is survival.

I guess "natural" for humans would be to live like natives in some jungle area.....well, I'll keep my house, car & clothes! We were given our brain (which is different from an animals brain) to improve & move forward. We were not supposed to remain the same. I think animals were put here for a purpose too. Some to provide us with food, some to help us with our work, and some for the enjoyment of their beauty. If an animal is kept, it should be kept in the best environment we can provide. That is our responsibility.

Edited by Jeana727