=o

tropicana

i was lying in bed last night, thinking about not having to go to school the next day, because the teachers were doing something, and then, all of a sudden, there was a cracking sound coming from my 50 gal. tank, and i thought "it must be the lid moving" it does the sometimes, and then it became louder, so i went over to it, and water was very slowly coming out, i'm like "oh no" then i yelled out to my mum, who started panicking and filling up my fish bucket to put them in because we couldn't keep them in the tank.

So, as i got my last few fishes out, the water GUSHED out from the tank, so i ran over to my 75 gal tank and saw if there was enough room to put my fishes in, but there wasn't and my mum suggested i put my fishes in the bathtub (xD yes, it is quite funny), and so i ran into the bathroom, gave the tub a quick scrub with my fishtank cloth while my mum was in my room cleaning up the mess (lucky i just cleaned my room up and my bed is pretty high!) so, the tank was filling with luke warm water and i just turned the taps off, and ran to my room to get the filter and heater and put them in the water, while my mum had JUST finished cleaning up the water.

So i lifted the buckets up and put the fish in the water, i was quite worried that they wouldn't survive, and i was thinking that i didn't scrub the tub out good enough.

Anyway, after all that drama, we called the owner of the local fish shop (who happens to be a family friend) and explained our pickle, and he said he would fix the tank free of charge because i bought it there!, but the downside is that i hav to wait at least 2 months because he is in the middle of making a 100 gallon tank for a customer and then has another tank to make.

But i think it's quite cute having my fishies in the tub!, and i get to watch them when i'm in the shower, and my mum doesn't care since no-one really uses the bathtub anyway!

xD

Thats pretty cool tropicana! The fish will be fine in the bathtub as long as you can get their existing filters up and running. Infact it will probably be bigger than their old home :) My bathtub could rival my 100gallon! It does kind of suck having to wait a couple of months to get a new tank, but at least its free, can't complain there!

I had my tank crack a few years ago, except it was overnight and the tank was in the lounge room, half my fish died and I have no idea how the other half survived it was bone dry!!

Thankfully, it's quite rare that it happens although to be honest, whenever I buy a tank (off eBay for example), I'll always run more sealant along all the inside joins - just to reinforce them. If any of my tanks were to leak, let alone break, i'd have an electrical catastrophe. All my tanks are in a big open area and all the powerpoints are close to each other... hmmm I really should raise them off the floor :)

I'm glad you've got the bathtub handy Tropicana and if you can swing it, would love to see a pic of them in the tub. It's not something you see every day :D

:( Sorry about your tank! What a nightmare. I think many of us have that fear of a tank cracking open and all the water draining out. I'm so glad you were at home and heard it and that your mom was there to help you.

I have had only one tank crack and that was from some visiting kids that threw a little metal car and it hit just right and put a crack in the top of the tank. I was lucky and found a very nice replacement tank at a very low price. But what an ordeal! :yikes

Glad you can get your tank fixed and that it all ended well. Would love to see pics of your tub/tank!

• Admin

What kind of saltwater fish do you have?

Make sure your keeping an eye on there water quality, they dont take well to tubs and things like that unlike goldfish or other cold water fish.....Since they need a heater and high amounts of minerals.??

How are they doing?

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend
:D I always thought that, and a toilet (never used of corse) converted to a fish tank would be cute! Thats great though that you have things under control! ( and a understanding mother lol)