Sign in to follow this  
Guest mic10

Goldie Highway/waterbridge

Guest mic10

I just found the coolest thing! It's called a waterbridge or a fishie highway. Here's a link to it.waterbridge/fishie highway

I just thought it was so cool. Now instead of having to go out and buy1 large tank. You can attach 2 small ones. I can't wait to try it on 2 of my tanks.

That sounds quite cute! But i would be so scared that something horrible would happen :o

If you do it, post piccys so we can oggle at the wonder of the water bridge :D:exactly

And totally impossible to keep clean or maintained! :rolleyes:

Well, all I could keep thinking of while looking at the site was "Why"! What advantage would this have for the fish?

Well, all I could keep thinking of while looking at the site was "Why"! What advantage would this have for the fish?

Well if you had two smaller tanks, you could connect them instead of buying a bigger one. It also looks very cool and might be fun for the fish. It's like why would you add gravel to the tank... because it looks nice.

Guest mic10

Actually it woulden't be totally impossible to keep clean because the filters woud still filter through the bridge because it's like another part of the tank.

I don't know about the fish, but it is a good way for parasite to commute from one tank to another.

Actually it woulden't be totally impossible to keep clean because the filters woud still filter through the bridge because it's like another part of the tank

Well the water would probably get stagnant unless there is something to actually move the water inside the tubes. Plus, ALGAE! lol. How would you get the algae out? You'd have to take it apart and get it with a bottle scrubber every week I suppose.

Well the water would probably get stagnant unless there is something to actually move the water inside the tubes. Plus, ALGAE! lol. How would you get the algae out? You'd have to take it apart and get it with a bottle scrubber every week I suppose.

:exactly

Cool idea but I think I will stick to just buying bigger tanks as and when required.

I think a small plec would take care of the algae.

I would love to do this for my tropical tanks, maybe one day.

hehe i was actually thinking of something like this, but i dont know if the fish would actually know how to use it. i was also thinking that if i had a 30 gallon and say a 5 gallon, you could submerge the 5 gallon into the 30 gallon, then turn the 5 gallon upside down while still inside the tank, then bring it to the surface. if you bring it up past the surface like that, the water will stay in the 5 gallon tank as long as you don't bring it totally out of the water. that will increase the tank size abit and look kinda cool, though i dont know how youd suspend the tank upside down like that. and if the water level ever went below the 5 gallon tank line, the water would suddenly gush out from the 5gallon tank. of course this would severely decrease the exposed surface area so aeration would be bad.

Edited by SSJChar

[slightly-off-topic]

I found the coolest thing in a LPS the other day! I nearly bought it but stopped myself as I dont really have a tank that it would look good in.

But its like a hollow plastic river shape with an airline inlet bit at one end and you put it on the bottom in the gravel, run bubbles through it and it looks like a moving river in the tank! *finds linky*

Theres one here to give a kind of idea, but the one I found was a river shape, not just a big rectangle. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod...004+113029+2035

[/slightly-off-topic]

Guest mic10

That does look like something really cool x-Lucy-Fish-x. In what pet store did you see that at. Also what would it look like in the tank. ANybody have any pics of it?

Ok guys, here is my Water Bridge project with images of the progress as I make it. I will try to detail issues I come up against as I come to them.

The water bridge will be a small one. I haven't decided on length yet as I still have to decide on a final placement of the 10 gallon tank, but no more than 18 inches in width for my first attempt.

I have decided to bridge a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. The initial plan was just making a bridge within the 20 gallon tank, but I decided what the heck, I had room for a 10 gallon, and the 10 gallon, filter and heater were only an extra $60 CND

So here are the stats:

10 Gallon

5 - 15 gallon aquatech filter with bio-media

100 watt 25 gallon heater

This tank holds two water filter intakes. One for the 5-15 filter and one for the 20-40 filter from the 20 gallon tank (forces water flow through the two tanks via the bridge). Output of 5-15 filter into this tank

20 Gallon

20-40 gallon aquatech filter with bio media

100 watt 25 gallon heater

This tank has only output water from 20-40 filter.

The internal ornament and plastic plant layout of the tanks will come last once the bridge construction and supports are in place.

Step 1: Leveling the tanks.

Since the cyphon effect will occur between the two tanks caused by the intake of the 20-40 filter being in the 10 gallon tank, the tanks must be level. The water between the two tanks will flow through the bridge and maintain the same water level over all in both tanks. So one tank can not be lower than the water level of the other...or water spills over.

In this picture of the two tanks, the 10 gallon is shorter in height by about 4 inches. The table it is on helps a bit, then I had to add a 2.5 inch spacer to bring it up to level. (I will cover it up to make it look nicer later on).

Step 2: Designing filter intake from one tank to the next.

You can see in the picture above that I have a hose running out of the intake of the 20-40 filter from the 20 gallon tank, into the right corner of the 10 gallon tank.

Step 3: Custom Tops for Easy Access for water changes, cleaning, feeding, etc etc.

The next two pics show the tops of the tanks. I have done away with the hood of the 20 gallon and have placed 1/4 plexi glass custom tops in each tank. This allowed me to decide on the exact placement of the filters and heaters, also the plexi glass over short distances will be enough to support the weight of the bridge. I will cut part of the tops in half, so most of the tank can be very quickly exposed for feeding and cleaning. The plexi glass at 1/4 inch think is reasonbly priced at $4.79 a square foot. I used a scroll saw to cut out the holes for filters and fitting the tops.

The next steps are cutting the holes for the bridge in the plexi glass top support, cutting the top into two peices for quick access, building and sealing the bridge, adding the bridge, laying out the tank decor, filling and beginning a fishless cycle. Eventually lighting will be added under the shelf right above the tanks, and leds to simulate moon light for night time may also be used.

------

Ok I have the water bridge cut to size. Due to the space restrictions and best configuration, for now my water bridge will only be 20 inches long with about 9 inches clear pipe to view through. Maybe later after this has been tested and put to use, I can make it longer if necessary.

The bridge only holds 3 litres of water and weighs almost nothing. So definetly no worries with the plexi glass holding.

I will cut the holes and install the bridge next.

-------------

Ok I have the holes cut so the bridge sits in the custom top. I also cut the custom top so the majority of it slides away for quick access. The 1/4 inch thick plexi glass still has enough support weight to keep the bridge held up with no issues.

The bridge with the two peices of plexi glass from each tank.

The Bridge on the tanks

Other angle shots to show the bridge.

Next step - adding decor, water, loading the bridge and starting the fishless cycle.

-------------

Ok its all done. Added the decor today, filled it up with water. Loaded most of the bridge with water, lost some putting it in. Had to suck the remaining air out with a hose. Flow is going through the bridge. The large tank is drawing water from the small tank and dumping it into the large tank, so water is passing through the bridge as water level is staying the same between the tanks.

I think it turned out good. May be too many colros for some peoples preferences, but I think it works well and I LIKE IT. Lots of caves and hidey holes in both tanks. I have high features near tube entrances so there is protection near them as well.

One bubble machine puts bubbles in both tanks with flow control.

Next step is fishless cycle and to install a light above the tanks. Hopefully ina few weeks its ready for fish.

Pictures of the two tanks and the bridge:

The 20 gallon tank

The 10 Gallon Tank

I'll post pictures once I get fish and catch them using the bridge.

With a bit of planning, plexi glass custom tops, it was actually very easy to do. One could do the entire process in a day if the tanks are setup ready to go and level!

By the way, the water level would have to drop 2 inches for the bridge water to run out of the bridge

(I got this info off another website)

pics didn't seem to come out. I'll see what I can do.

Guest mic10

Guees my last post was of no use because I can't get any pics up

you yould some how have to seal the top of your tank so the water in the tube wouldnt drain out because it is higher then the tank. intresting