Scratched Tank Bottom

goldenlady

I had decided to go bare bottom and began to remove gravel a litttle at a time for weeks. I was using one of those rectangular pyrex food storage containers from the 50's. I wanted to use glass and not plastic because I just felt plastic was softer than glass and I didn't want to share a food storage container with a fish and her tank. Well, I think scraping the gravel rocks into the container has left scratches on the tank bottom. Is this what always happens or did I do this especially badly? I've seen others' tanks and they look very pristine, ever so sharp, but I didn't expect the scratched bottom. :(

:) Well, I can tell you that all of my goldfish tanks are barebottom now, meaning I had gravel in them at one time. They all have minor scratches on the bottoms and I have even noticed a few very light ones on the sides. I figured they came from gravel and the scrubbing pads I have used for cleaning. Of course I could just blame them all on the fish :heart and something they have been up to at night. They have been know to rearrange things at night, so who knows.

Thanks, Vmlola, I was beating myself up thinking that if I hadn't used a hard surface container to remove the gravel that my tank bottom wouldn't have gotten scratched. I never noticed if it was scratched before when I've completely hand removed the gravel to give the tank a thorough cleaning. This time I was removing gravel a little at a time every week as I was changing water, and I know I could hear the gravel scrape under the pyrex box. Never gave it a thought, then when I saw the scratches, I freaked. :krazy: But when I hand removed gravel, I would have already drained the entire tank dry and it was easy access. Dipping my arms into the depth of the tank upon water changes would have been a messy business, hence the container, instead. :rolleyes: (I love these clickable smilies--they show how I feel about what I'm saying! :D )

I kknow the smilry face are fun! I love this one when I'm excited about something, :yikes , is that funny or what.

You know your thread reminded me of my first tank, a 12 gal Eclipse system, those are too cheap. I did not think about them being arclylic and I thought I would give the sides a nice scrubbing, well when I was done and filled it back up I could not understand why the water was so cloudy, then it dawned on me I had scratched the entire interior with the pad I used for cleaning, :yikes:yikes:yikes !

Boy did I feel stupid! Don't beat yourself up over a few bottom scratches, as it could be worse, your tank could have the nice frosted look I gave mine. :rofl

My latest tank is barebottom.However my main goldie tank sides are scratched in a couple of places partly due to emptying all the gravel to transport the tank.Then there is my dear Piranha (Dojo Loach) who likes nothing better than flicking the gravel around :lol:

• Admin

Nothing to worry about unless its near a corner of the tank and the scratch is a deep one. I have noticed over the years that you will get scratches on the tanks walls, that just because of gravel or moving things around.....there are products out there that can remove them but personally they dont bother me :D

Bare bottomed tanks are easier to keep clean.In my case only one of my tanks is barebottom and that is for the safety of the goldfish in that particular tank.The fish in my barebottom tank are a bubble eye and a celestial.Bubble eyes have delicate eye sacs which if punctured can cause the fish to suffer so gravel is not an option with those fish.Even tho its bare bottom I still have it decorated with some japanese smooth pebbles and silk plants and a glass bowl all of which have no sharp edges.So barebottom doesn't entirely mean that theres nothing in the tank :)

just interested... why would you want a bare-bottomed tank?

I had never really heard of people keeping bare bottomed tanks before I came to this site either - but I would say that probably over half the members here have them.

Bare bottomed does not mean literally bare bottomed it just refers to a tank with no sand or gravel substrate. Most people have larger river pebbles, stones or rocks instead, very few have nothing at all.

People have different views on it and there are threads all over the site about it. I've most recently changed my tank from gravel to river pebbles too.

The usual reason people have bare bottomed tanks is for easier cleaning and to promote a healthier tank environment.

As you know, goldfish are very messy compared to other fish. Gravel subtrates kind of collect and hide the waste and also provide places for harmful gases to build up and for parasites and bacteria to lurk.

Regular gravel cleaning helps to keep the waste levels down, but in practice it is a lot easier to maintain a tank without gravel. It allows waste to be free floating for longer and more likely to be pulled into a filter. Goldies can still root around the pebbles just like they would gravel. Also, people have had instances where their fish have choked on awkward sized gravel or where thay have had to remove gravel that has become lodged or stuck in their fishes mouth.

It is also a matter of personal taste, some people love the look of gravel and others don't. Goldfish will adapt to whatever environment they are in :)

ahhhhhhh I get it now, I was honestly thinking of tanks with NOTHING in ;) that would suck ;)

We have larger sized gravel in our tank although it's not sharp edged, and it's natural appearance so no colourings or anything. We got it mainly because our fishies are soo small so the gravel is too big for them to attempt to eat and they love to snuffle in it :D