A Hole Threw My Tetra

i noticed a wound but did not care so much but now he has right on his budy aboce his anul fin o his body a complete hole he simes fine but for one secod he tilts diagnoly but quickly swims strate what is this????

Lucy's been trying to help you, but to be honest, you are being kind of vague. Plus, I have never heard of a live fish (or any animal for that matter) surviving days with a hole that big through its body, and I am going to doubt that Lucy hasn't either.

If you really mean there is a hole through the body cavity and you can see your aquarium on the other side, and not a hole in the fins, your fish should technically be dead by now. Fish are small and delicate creatures, and something like that would really mess them up.

Without knowing anything about your set up, water params etc, it makes it even harder to diagnose what's going on. Can you give us details please?

Keep your water perfectly clean and free of ammonia and nitrite. I wouldn't add salt...some tetras are sensitive to it, and I'm afraid that the salt would irritate or burn the insides of the fish. By the way you described the colors, it sounds bacterial or fungal. Jungle Labs Fungus Clear treats both, so why don't you try that if you live in the united states. If you live in the UK, Lucy may be able to help you pick out a medication.

For bacterial infections I have found a combination of sera baktopur and sera baktopur direct rapidly clear up bacterial infections.With the baktopur direct if the fish is up to it it can be dipped for 30mins in a solution of the baktopur direct then put back in tank with normal dose of baktopur direct along with baktopur.One word of warning only use this med in a QT as it destroys good and bad bacteria so will destroy your cycle if you have achieved it.

every thing is at zero the params all are good but ther has been algue bloom recently i did a water change so ya i mean no afense to lucy infact i thank her but its to late hes dieng hes been like that a week not ehere the organs but right on the musles above the anul fin hes ding

I know you mean no offense dengundam, neither do I. I'm sorry about your tetra, but I'm really stumped. Honestly I don't think he has a very good chance, but you can try any of those medications mentioned above if its worth a shot. :hug

Where did it come out from? the hole? or..her butt?

I'm sorry she died, and I'm sorry I couldnt help. Next time you have a problem try and provide us with more information. Its hard to diagnose something with just a vague description.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this post is old, but for future refrence it had hole in the head diesease. It is a realy disease and kills slwly and is very painful for the fish. It comes form stress, over crowded tanks, and/or bad water. You can look it up more.

I am also very sorry for you loss and I am very sorry I did not find this thread sooner. :(

• Supporter

Just curious, but how do you know it was hole in the head disease? Or are you just making an educated guess? I am not saying that it isn't, I was just wondering if you had some other info or something. :-)

Not to be obvious or anything, but hole-in-head disease is when tiny pin-like holes or dents form on the top of the fish's head, sometimes releasing a stringy mucous and causing brain damage in bad cases. You're right about how the majority of cases are caused, but I don't think hole-in-head disease is what killed his fish. Its not common in tetras at all, and he said the whole was in the body, going straight through to the other side...not the head. I know a little about the disease because one of my goldfish came to me with it :( Its a terrible disease...

There is a related disease called lateral line erosion, which is what I originally thought; but even then it would have to be one heck of an advanced case. In and of itself it's not even really fatal, mostly fish would die from secondary infections due to a weakened immune system brought on by this disease. I still can't see how anything could have eaten through the body of a fish (disease or otherwise) without killing it.

As Kissy said, HITH usually affects the larger cichlids, is characterized by small dents in the head and face, and is a protozoan infection brought out by poor water quality and poor diet; so it's unlikely, even given more info about his setup, that HITH is what killed his fish.

Sorry about your loss.