Sign in to follow this  
Blue

Edinburgh Museum Goldfish

A poor goldfish at edinburgh museum got much needed surgery to remove a facial growth.Heres the news link.

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1344922006

This link contains pic of the big 3 year old Goldie

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article...gery/article.do

Edited by Blue

they should of left the fish alone

They probably saved its life. It could have been a tumour that may have killed it.

i don't understand why everybody in those links thinks it's such a bad idea to have it removed? if it was a person or even a dog, nobody would think twice about it. a growth is a growth - sometimes they are very serious.

now, if it was removed just because it was ugly, then that's kinda sad. someone should've just kept it as a pet. but a growth on the eye seems serious to me.

i don't understand why everybody in those links thinks it's such a bad idea to have it removed? if it was a person or even a dog, nobody would think twice about it. a growth is a growth - sometimes they are very serious.

now, if it was removed just because it was ugly, then that's kinda sad. someone should've just kept it as a pet. but a growth on the eye seems serious to me.

yeah i thought it was taken out because people though it was ugly :(

In the other link it said that the lump was a harmless cyst and that it was only removed for cosmetic reasons.. pretty stupid really.

The comments made me laugh though..

I looked at 3 pictures of the fish and the cyst didn't look all that bad. But we fancy fish hobbiests are also used to seeing the unusual. In response to complaints, the scientists at the museum decided to remove the cyst and the eye " in case it should develop into a problem." they said. But since nothing has ever been said about health concerns and the fish was healthy, I think it was just public pressure that induced the surgery. The museum spokeperson said that the museum, which has had 584,000 visitors to its goldfish and catfish ponds this year already, says it takes the care of its fish very seriously, so with careful expert evaluation, the scientists must have felt it was a good preventative measure, or that they couldn't save the eye and remove the cyst, or maybe it was because the eye was already doubtful. Fish do have great smelling capabilities and he still has one eye to see with, so he should be able to find food and go where he wants to go.

Well he's a beautiful fish, even without the eye :) I see no problem with them removing it if it's what was best for the fish in the long run.

What got me was they said they used the money people throw in the pond to pay for it. Isn't the coins suppose to be bad for the fish? :unsure:

Keeping metals in the pond is very bad :( I hope they don't still encourage that type of behavior from the visitors.

At least it gave them an excuse to clean it out.

Just thought I had better add that the photo in the second article is of the fish after his operation not before as stated.

I dont like the way they says its ugly. But im glad they removed the tumor. The little fish is so cute and im glad that his life is possibly saved :)

plastic sugery now on fish. what next. :rofl

^Piscine Liposuction? :D

No, wait, I got it... how about silicone transplants to augment headgrowths? Just like they do to augment... well, y'know. ;)

Edited by Man Yu

Guest Mutsukai

But it was.

Although the growth was harmless, some visitors had expressed concern about the creature's appearance and it was removed as a precaution, along with one of its eyes.

They had no reason to believe it was dangerous, but people were complaining it was ugly.

If i had seen it then i would have asked as well for something to be done, as it looked like the poor fish was being neglected. As the visitors were probably not vets then they may have said it was unfair to let the fish live with that as it may have been a tumour.

If it had been someones dog then im sure it would have been removed through cosmetic reasons too even if the growth meant the eye would be lost.

Well, hopefully the fish is happier without the growth...hard to say if it was harmless or not since we don;t know how the FISH felt!

But as someone else said I am way more concerned about coins being thrown into the pond with the fish... :cry1

I'm also worried about the coins. The last time I went to my favorite chinese restaurant they had a sign up on their fish pond saying not to throw coins into it because it harms the fish. It mad me happy :)