Slipperylittlesucker Plants

koko

Thats a Water Hyacinth, and they have pretty purple flowers, and propagate like crazy. They produce little baby plants, which can stay attached to the mother plant, or you can just break it off, and it will grow on its own. It has a huge root mass dangling off of the plant, and is an excellent oxygenating plant, which means it provides more oxygen to your water than other plants, and, because of the huge root mass, absorbs much more nitrates than other plants as well. I have some of them even stuck into my veggie pond filter to assist filtration....

Unfortunately, its considered weed in some states (incl. Florida).... ;)

There's a creek by my house that goes under a major street that is FULL of water hyacinth. It's so awesome when they start flowering because you just see purple everywhere... they spread very quickly though and each year they're poisoned so they don't cover the entire surface of the water.

I cant see any lily, all I see is a big and a few smaller water hyacinth, and those little leaves all over the water surface are either bigger duck weed leaves, or the start of a new population of water lettuce.....Or is it my eye sight, sometimes I am not sure! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful!! It looks so awsome with those flowers!! Now imagine a whole pond full with them! :wub:

I don't do anything to make them propagate. When the conditions are right, like the temperature and the amount of sun they are getting, they will start on their own by building little plants spreading out from the mother plant. As soon as the babies start to build their own clump of roots, you can brake it off.

Maybe the temperature is too cool right now, usually the bloom should last longer than just a day. Although it closes at night and reopens in the morning....

the temperature has fallen a few degrees and it has rained last night

i had a closer look and the stem hasnt broken off but

bent down into the water

you could be right, the temperature might have something to

do with the one day bloom

it was nice anyway, totally unexpected

i thought it was just a new leaf but i was shock to see 3 flowers growing

Archived