Serious Help Needed!

Guest brc200

I have had a 20 gallon tank for well over three years now. At first I started out with 2 common goldfish and an algae eater. Then approx. six months later I add 2 fantails. Two months ago. one of the fantails died and last month the algae eater died. Last week I purchased another algae eater and another fantail goldfish. Well, this morning I noticed on my smallest common goldfish (Annabelle) under her mouth there is bright red (looks like blood veins) and my oldest fantail (Fancy) her fantails are shredded and nipped off. What or who has caused this? Will they grow back. What should I do, I have never had this happen in my three years of owning this tank. Do I have a death tank?

Thanks for helping me. :whatjust:

:) Hi brc200,and welcome to koko's.Sorry to hear that you have lost some of your fish.

The very first thing that I'm going to tell you is that you are quite overstocked.Comets alone need a space of at least 15-20 gals. per fish as they get pretty large and are fast swimmer's.

Before I get into what I think is going on with your fish/tank,can you look at the questions up above and try to answer them as best as you can.By doing this,you are giving us alot of help in diagnosing the exact problems.

I am going to move this to the correct area so that we can get the best help for you. :)

Edited by Devs

What you're probably seeing are burns from a LOT of ammonia building up in your tank from overstocking. So please, try to answer as much of the above questions as you can.

If you don't have a water testing kit on hand, you can purchase one at your local petstore or contact a petstore to see if they can test your water for free. I recommend purchasing the kit itself since you'll be using it a lot in the future.