Argh! Recovering Fish Now Showing New Symptoms

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

My fish Dasha had Dropsy. Pretty much all her scales were sticking up and she was quite weak. I put her in a hospital tank and fed her some antibacterial food. The next day I bought Maracyn I and II and epsom salt. I threw in one tab of Marayn I two tabs of Maracyn II AND a dose of epsom salt. Now, I read the directions on the box of Marayn II wrong, it says to add two tabs the first day and one the next. Well, I change 90% of the water daily as it's only a ten gallon bucket, no filter and the fish is over 4 inches long so I added two tabs again the next day, PLUS the Maracyn I. I just read that treating with I and II can be bad for the fish. It's been about 7 days since I started treating her and her scales have returned to normal but now she is resting on the bottom of the bucket, and not moving much at all. Do you think I have to much medicine in the bucket? I only read the box all the way just two days ago so the last two days I've only been putting in one tab of Maracyn II (plus Maracyn I) My water readings are normal. Could it be I'm poisoning her with to much medicine? I stopped using the epsom salt now as her swelling is gone. Please let me know anything soon!! She was recovering so fast but now she's just sitting at the bottom.

There's many on this board that have treated using both maracyn's at the same time and it's worked effectively for them.

I'd keep a check on the water parameters because even if it starts to show a little ammonia, it will cause undue stress for you fish - especially with meds in the tub. Do you have plenty of aeration in there? That's going to be necessary while medicating as the meds will deplete the oxygen in the water :)