Sign in to follow this  
ryukingirl793

Puffy-eyed Fish

:( Eh, somebody help me out!!! Poor moses!

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 60ish

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? very low, but it doesn't change, no matter how much ph up I add. and the other fish don't seem to be suffering from it

Ph Level out of the Tap? 6.2

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55, about a year

What is the name and size of the filter/s? fluval 304

How often do you change the water and how much? 25-30% every week

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 goldies, between 2 1/2 and 5 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? aquasafe, ph up

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? sinking pellets

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? very puffy, whitish translucent skin around eyes

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? lethargic, sits on bottom all the time

Hi, are you able to post a picture of your fish? Sounds like popeye but not entirely sure. Nitrates should be less than 40 though, less than 20 is better, therefore you may need to do a water change to bring the nitrates down.

Is Moses eating at least?

Also, do you have any epsom salt? Adding 1/8 of a teaspoon per 5 gallon may help the eye a bit, as well as raising the temperature in your tank to 78-80, but slowly. Do you have another tank that you can use as a hospital/quarantine tank to put your fish in?

As for your ph problem, a lot of people recommend getting crushed coral to help raise and stabilize your ph but I'm not an expert.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give you more advice. I think for now, try to get those nitrates lowered. :)

Hope Moses gets well soon.

karla

Hi Danielle,Sorry to hear that your fish may be having problems.

The first thing that I want to mention is as Karla said,your Nitrates.They are alot higher then you really want them to be.You have your tank maxed with five fish,and with your size of filter,I really think you should look into upgrading it,or adding a second filter on it to help with the Bio-load.Best for Goldies are filtration that filter's 10x's the size of your tank,and actually ,I go over that myself.I think that in order to keep up with things,you'll have to increase your water changes,whether it be bigger water changes,or more often,to keep Nitrates in check.

Secondly,I want to ask how often you are doing gravel vac's? How often do you rinse out or change your filter's?

As for the puffy eyes,when you look at this fish,does it actually look like he's sporting donuts around his eyes-like two white rings?

For the tank itself,the first thing that I would do would to begin water changes,and get those Nitrates under 20.Make sure to match temp of the tank and use treated water.

Ph is very low,and running close to ph crash number's.What have you tried so far to remedy that?

The other fish may not seem to be suffering from it,but it could bring long term problems in the end.

Is the sick fish showing any other signs-any redness on body/frayed fins/not eating,etc?

Is it possible for you to set up a Hospital tank or Rubbermaid tub of sorts to treat this fish?

Are you able to get a hold of some medicated food?

Thank you guys so much for your responses. It really is truly appreciated.

I already have some salt in the tank, though I don't know the exact concentration.

I dont know about the quarantine tanke, though I know it's something I should have. I'll ask my dad to take me to the store sometime today. I think I have an extra filter lying around, so that's good.

I will certainly change the water ASAP, and a little more than usual. Wow. I knew goldfish were messy, but I thought I was keeping up pretty well...

I do gravel vacs with every water change. I don't really rinse out the filter media unless I'm removing it for medication purposes, which I just remembered is bad.

Yes, the eyes look just like white donuts.

As far as remedies for the pH, I've just used water changes and pH up. The tap water tends to be a little higher pH. Moses is still eating, though he only eats for about 20 seconds, rather than his usual 5-minute search, and then he returns to the bottom. No other physical symptoms as far as I can tell.

I do actually have some medicated food. Medigold, I think. It's something Koko sent me once. Thank you guys again so much for your help. :heart

:) Hi, have you done the water change yet? If so can you test the water again and post the results.

Is it also possible for you to post some pictures of Moses?

What kind of salt did you add to your aquarium? Aquarium salt? Epsom salt? And how many teaspoons or tablespoons did you use? From what I've heard, Epsom salt is best in helping with swelling. I am not familiar with Medigold so I cannot advise you on using it but I know that Metromed is good for popeye, which may be what Moses has. Do you have Maracyn 1 and/or 2 available or can you get them at the petstore?

I think Maracyn 2 is best but I am not too sure.

Sorry for all the questions but I do not like to diagnose a condition unless I know for sure what it is.

Although it does sound like popeye. For now if you can get Maracyn 1 or 2 get it but do not use it yet.

Just get the water at good levels, if you can order Metromed at goldfishconnection.com get it and also see if you can get Buff-It-Up, which should help with the ph problem or get crushed coral (I am unsure how to place this in your filter but hopefully someone can help)

Be sure to clean your filter media in the tank water that you took out.

Try to get Epsom salt, 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons, and try to get the water temperature at 78-80, slowly though.

I know that heat and salt can help his eye for now. If you get Epsom salt, be sure to remove all the other salt that is currently in his tank.

I hope Moses recovers soon :) . Has his eye gotten worse?

I hope this helps for now.

karla