Natural Meds For Marine Fish

Blue

I'm looking for natural remedies for when my marine fish get sick.So there are not a load of chemicals in with my fish.I am already aware of Pimafix and Melafix anything else I can add to my list.

Yes, vita chem... garlic guard...the best cure is high quality water and a proper diet!!!

If you feed your fish, keep the water quality high...and qt all new fish you should never have an issue that you need to use these things in the display tank... I feed with frozen foods and add a bit of vita chem and garlic guard to help boost there immune system... I have not lost a fish in 5 years because of disease or parasites...I qt new fish, I keep the water quality high... and the fish just do well...

Are those things available in the UK.Also I test my water weekly so I can catch any probs early.I also now have a rubbermaid for marine qt.

I was going to say the same exact thing. QT is an absolute must! But you know that now. ;)

I think the garlic should be available over there since it is not really a med per se. Try looking around your store where you get your fish, or find a good saltwater supply store. You should be able to find them there. Some of the garlic is liquid and you can just drop it into your frozen food or whatever you're feeding. It is an attractant as well.

Haven't been out looking yet as no one is sick.I just plan on having things on hand when the need arises like I do for my coldwater and tropical fish.

Love your new siggy by the way :)

I already add liquid vitamins.I use Waterlifes Vitazin as I learned that using vitamins twice a week are good for clown fish.

I'm going to look up the other stuff and I also know sera do vitamins as well.They do two products sera fishtamin and sera activant.I have found sera products good so I may switch to their vitamins.

ultimate natural remedies: Hypersalinity and Hyposalinity treatments

What's that? why, it's raising or lowering the concentration of salt in the seawater you're using and letting the fish sit in it for a spell. it works by the principle of osmoregulation. Fish, being higher forms of life, are well able to adapt themselves to gradual shifts in salinity levels while pathogens and parasites are not (although this treatment could also potentially harm delicate invertebrates like crustaceans and mollusks as they are not as flexible in their osmoregulatory functions as fish are). In fact, it's standard practice for tropical marine fish exporters to quarantine their livestock in half-strength seawater. This causes any parasites to die off and even helps a lot in restoring the slime coat in fish (notice that the opposite is true for freshwater fish). However, the treatment does have caveats. You must know the exact volume capacity of your tank (by measuring actual amount of water held excluding any gravel or decor, not just by relying on the designated "gallonage" on your tank) and you have to have an exact method of measuring salinity, such as with a refractometer. The beauty of the system is that it simply relies on the principle of water changes... which you should be making anyway! :exactly

Yes, that is a good method of ridding the tank of some parasites but in my opinion it is best not to deal with parasites at all if you don't have to...

Get in the habit of always, and I do mean always QT'ing your new arrivals, and keep your water parameters high, and your animals healthy!!! That way you don't have to do these other things!!!

You can easily spend as much on meds, poisons, and treatments as just setting up a qt and maintaining it!!!