Why All The Sudden My Goldfish Are Dying

Guest bkluker

Guest bkluker

I have had these gold fish for a year and now all the sudden 2 goldfish have died and my algae eater has died and the biggest one I have the one I am the most attached to does not look either good the only thing I have done was put a couple of live plant bulbs in the tank. The big one looks like it's side fins are gone but it will float around like it is dead then just take off. :(

Im sure some one with more expierence will help you soon hunny. My goldfish is dying at the moment, so im here for you. Its not nice to see and i just want to help him out, ive done the best i can.

for now let me just give you a :hug

We can help you more if you give us some more info about your tank.

How big is the tank and how many fish?

What kind of filters do you have on it?

Test results for ammonia,nitrite, nitrate, pH, gh, kh?

How often do you change the water and how much do you change at a time?

When you added the plants did you treat them with anything first?

I know it's a lot of questions but that will at least help us get a feel for what's going on. I'm sure others will have more questions.

(Oh Welcome to Koko's! Got a little caught up in asking you all those questions, I forgot to welcome you!)

• Admin

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

* What is the name and size of the filter/s?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

# How many fish in the tank and their size?

# What kind of water additives or conditioners?

# Any medications added to the tank?

# Add any new fish to the tank?

# What do you feed your fish?

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

How old is your tank? Is it cycled yet? If it is not then you really should change the water more frequently than that. Maybe every other day or so. Do you know your ammonia/nitite/nitrate levels? Testing for these will help you keep your fish healthy.

Were all of your 7 fish goldfish? Goldfish need 10-20 gal per fish to be really healthy. If they are all small some can get away with less space but frequent water changes become much more important.

Try to answer the questions at the top of the page. It will help us help you.

Sounds like you might've hit the end point of overstocking. :(

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

It'd really help if you could answer these questions plus the ones at the top of the forum page. It'll give us a better idea about your water chemistry to see if overstocking was really the culprit or not. If you don't have the testing supplies to answer these questions, contact your local petstore and ask if they can test your water for you. Be sure if you get someone else to test your water that you get the exact numbers and not just a thumbs up or thumbs down.

In the meantime, do more than one water change a week to keep any waste to a minimum.

Hi and welcome to the forum.As Nenn said,answering the questions from up above will really give us a better idea on what's up with your tank and such.Without knowing all that,I can tell you that I'm pretty sure it's a water quality problem.10% water changes are far too small for that size of tank-especially when you are so very overstocked. I personally would suggest a 50% water change right now-just to see if anyone seems better,until you are able to get test results.Water changes are always a good way to start when you see your fish acting a little out of sorts.As long as the waters been treated and matches the tank temps,it can only help. :)

Post soon so we can help you save the other fish.

Hi there, Bkluker. I moved both your threads together into this one - its much easier when dealing with the same problem. More than one thread running is just confusing... :)