Snail Shell

froggydella

:cry1 Eeek! Im totally freaked out right now, As well as sad.

I was just looking at my snail's bumming around the tank a minute ago, When something struck me. One of my bigger snail's looked a bit "Empty" I took him out and sure enough my eye's were not playing tricks on me. He's gone! Nothing left in his shell. :o I see no remain's in the tank what so ever.

Does anyone possibly know what could of happened to him? Where did the rest of his body go? I feel so bad for him. They were all fine yesterday. I saw all 5 of them last night.

:unsure:

Pic's-

deadsnail002.jpg

deadsnail001.jpg

You haven't got any dojo loachs or the like in the tank have you as I know dojo's are partial to eating snails.Or has a fish been snacking on him.Seems odd for him to just vanish so I suspect someone has eaten him.

So sorry you lost your snail :cry1

Could be he was weak and becoming ill and the others knew it.Kinda like when fish turn on one of their own when they know it is ill or dying.

:( Sorry to read about your snail. I have had that happen to me in the past. Most likely, he was ill or old and he died. Once they are dead the other snails will consume his body and you will have his empty shell and the little "door" from his shell.

Again, I'm sorry this happened. :heart

:( Sorry about your snail Della.Those guys are funny and can die just by doing a water change.They are considered like a "clean up crew",so consider them all suspects.Hopefully everyone else will be okay. :heart

So sorry for the loss of your snail. As the other posters said I think it is pretty common for them to be eaten up once they are dead. When my snails were in my gf tank I actually saw one of my gf nibbling on the snail (which is when I realized he was dead - it was very freaky :( ). My gf never ever bothered the snails when they were alive so I am sure he must have died first and then become food for the gf.

I hope your others are all fine.

:( Sorry to read about your snail. I have had that happen to me in the past. Most likely, he was ill or old and he died. Once they are dead the other snails will consume his body and you will have his empty shell and the little "door" from his shell.

Again, I'm sorry this happened. :heart

That, IMHO, is exactly what has happened. I have had snails for years that that is what always occurs. It's not gross or bad, it's just nature taking over. A snail will never come out of it's shell, the shell holds most of it's organs and protects it's little body. The second set of pictures is for sure the opercolum or 'door'. So sorry to hear about your loss, but at least the shell is nice and clean for you to keep if you want. A dead snail is too stinky! Yuk![/color]