Disorientation

d_golem

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40 (It's a bit on the high side, but it's been about a week since the last (90%) water change)

Ph I don't do the test, cos I think it's not ph related.

50gal tank, about 8-9 months running

1200 l/h MoZoo canister & 800 l/h MoZoo internal filter

90-95% water change every week.

3 fantails (all three about 6-7 inches, but one is at least twice the mass of the other two), 2 ranchus about 4 inches

Sodium hypochlorite for dechlor

No meds

No new fish

Feed pellets, BS, BW, peas, zucchini, algae wafer, etc

No unusual findings

Behaviourial problems explained below:

Now here's the problem. One of my smaller fantails is acting a bit on the strange side. She always been THE most active and the fastest fish in the tank. But since yesterday, I noticed she kinda acted weirdly. It seems that she's a bit disoriented somehow. She's still active and looks healthy, but slowed down a tad, and where before she prefer the top half of the tank more, zooming around, she now prefer to swim casually around the bottom half.

The disorientedness is apparent most clearly when I feed the tank. Cos of the current in the tank, any pellets or BS or BW I dropped in the tank gets dispersed pretty quickly. She usually able to like "grab, grab, grab, grab" any pellets or pieces of food with pinpoint accuracy and she's usually the one that eats the most. Now, she kinda swim around opening and closing her mouth, kinda finding her way using her sense of smell, hoping that a piece of food will come near her mouth and grab it.

Now I'm confused as why she's like this. I first thought she's going blind, but her eyes are still as bright as ever. Maybe her lateral line got damaged. Or maybe it's something else. The one physical difference that I noticed from her that she got a little white "nick" on her usually all-orange left gill plate, and a couple of scales are missing from her upper left body. I can only assume that somehow she got stuck somewhere in the tank and during her attempt to release herself, some senses got damaged and that made her abit disoriented.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post :D

You're probably right in that she may be recovering from a bit of shock. If she was stuck for a long while, she be stressed enough to lower her immunity so watch out for a possible infection.

Is it possible she may have been attacked by one of the others?

I have a fantail that was always hyper active but has calmed down a lot now. I suspect some combination of three things could have caused it:

He experienced a growth spirt and I imagine that could make him less spunky.

My other fish died leaving him without his (so far) life-long companion, which may have left him traumatized.

He became stressed because my air pump failed in the middle of our heat wave and left him with out a lot of air (he just came down with a bacterial infection that is going away)

So maybe her personality is just changing or something happened (or is happening) to your fish that is causing her stress. If it were me I would just watch her and make sure she doesn't get any more alarming symptoms.

I would definately see if lowering the nitrates would help. Sterling is much that way - he does not do well with nitrates over 20ppm.

Have you scoped for gill flukes?

Could she be gravid with eggs?

Have you scoped for gill flukes?

Could she be gravid with eggs?

I don't have a microscope :unsure: but there's no peculiar external gill movements whatsoever.

Gravid? Don't think so. She's a pretty slim fish so if she's gravid I'd know right away.

Just an update.

I haven't done any waterchanges (I know, bad me but got no time, with piles of homework and my recent injury on my left shoulder) but the fantail has gone back to his usual, active self. He's no longer disoriented and can "pinpoint" food again. I guess he was really recovering from shock.

Now to get that waterchange done....oww...... :(