Sign in to follow this  
kristysweets

Aponogeton Question

I got some aponogeton bulbs three weeks ago, it took about a week for them to sprout and now they have been growing steadily, but are still small. Of course, I'm not sure how big they should be, but anyway. one of them has a seedling stalk thing, it went from touching the gravel to 8 inches tall in three days :blink: I've looked at so many sites, but they confuse me and I read after they seed they can go into hibernation if you don't cut it off. well they just started growing so I don't want them to die already so I was gonna cut this seed off, but I'm not sure where to cut it. Do I take off just the little seed tip or the whole stem?

Second question, I got some dwarf lilly bulbs yesterday, two of them sunk to the ground, but two are still floating around, is there any thing I can do to make them sink?

Also does anyone have any really good links for info on these plants?

Thanks

If you are going to cut off the flower stalk you want to remove the whole thing and not just the top of it. I have left the flower stalks on , and none of them have gone into hibernation, I even pollinated the flowers with a paint brush and have gotten a few plantlets.

My lily bulbs floated too, they didn?t sprout and ended up rotting, so I send them back to the company for replacements. The replacement bulbs sank like a rock and sprouted a week later.

Edited by aqua

thanks aqua, that was my first thoughts about the lillies that floated. I figured something was wrong since they floated. I think I might just leave the seed along this time and see what happens, if it does die then I'll cut them from now on. I have another one with a seed just starting too.

I'm also having problems with brown algae, you think some oto's will eat that up?

Edited by kristysweets

I have aponogetons in my 10 gallon tropical tank and some of the older plants would be sticking out of the water if the leaves were straight and vertical.

Otos love brown diatom algae :) Is this a goldfish tank though? They may be eaten by large goldfish. Even if the goldfish attempt to eat them, they can still get the spiny dorsalf fin stuck in their throat and die. If its a goldfish tank, you're probably better off with a bristlenose. If its a tropical tank, get some ottos though. They are so small and cute, and nevery harm your plants.

Thanks Kissy, it is tropical, next time I see some at wally world, I'm gonna get some.

I think they are really cute too especially after I've seen yours :)

br553, I hope mine get that tall. they are about 1/4 of the tank right now so my tank seems empty, but i'm having fun watching them grow. They change so fast! just that seedling stalk when I first wrote this post was under the water and now the tip of it is sticking out the water, these little plants are amazing me, lol

I know what you mean. The last 2 packs of bulbs I have bought started sprouting (most of them) less than 24 hours later. One of them sent up a flower spike after only a week. Another bulb was no bigger than a pea but yet it still sprouted. A couple of lily bulbs I bought floated at first but sank on their own in less than a day. I've had good luck with the lily bulbs. I've bought 4 and and all 4 have sprouted.

well only one has sprouted so far, the two that are floating are still floating. I had more seedlings too, but I cut them off. I still have the first one though and it's a flower now :) and I have some leaves shooting to the top now too, but it's weird cause it's a big long stalk then a I guess maybe a inch long leaf. My other one that looks like that stays short and all the leaves are kinda all curled up together. These are the one with the curly leaves.

That's one of the things I like about the apon bulbs from Wmart. It seems like you always get 2 or 3 different varieties in the same package. From the most recent pack, I have one that has produced large floating leaves that are 1in by 3in, a few bulbs that are the regular wavy, curly leaves, and one that has long, narrow, flat, straight edged leaves with a red tint to the underside. It has sent up 4 red colored flower stalks that open up into the usual white flowers.

Also one of my dwarf lilies sprouted an inch long stalk and started growing leaves and roots from the end of the stalk instead of the bulb itself. I'm still waiting and hoping one of my dwarf lilies puts up a flower.

Edited by br553

yea, I like how they are different too. The only problem is I have some that'd look better in the back that is in the front and vise versa, but since I'm not too experienced with plants I don't want to move them. I added some gravel yesterday since I didn't have enough and cut some flowers and seedlings off. Both of the lily bulbs that sunk sprouted now, I don't have any leaves yet though. I had to redo my CO2 this weekend too since it stopped. That yeast makes it smell so much like bread, it made me hungry, lol.

Are some of the lily bulbs still floating? If they are, I would take them out and try and squish them. If they are soft or spongy, then they are starting to rot.

I once had some lily bulbs take a year to sprout, but they did sink to the bottom of the tank right away. It was funny, two of the bulbs sprouted right away, and two of them just sat there for a whole year until they sprouted. I was always sucking them up in the gravel vac :D

All this talk about the aponogetons has me wanting to try them again. I bought a package, but all of them were rotten :(

Yea, the two were still floating. I took them out yesterday cause I was tired of looking at them and they'd float around and bump into the fish. They are still hard though.

Only six of my bulbs had sprouted out of the 12 and one died so I have five plants. I sent the bad ones back to the company, haven't got replacements for them yet though.

You could try putting the floating ones in a bit of damp paper towelling, then putting them in a plastic bag or plastic container to keep them moist and put that in a warm spot. They will sometimes sprout with a little bit of warmth ... some place like on top of a fridge.