Uv Sterilizer And What Kind Of Pump?

I have a 30 gallon tank and wonder if I want to install a UV sterilizer, will a 9W Turbo-Twist UV sterlizer be the right one for me? Also, what kind of air pump would I need if I want to hang the UV sterilizer on the back of my aquarium? I want something super quiet. I am not sure about how to put it in my Eheim cannister. Would the Rena pump be a good choice if I hang it on the tank? Someone suggested a Rio mini 50 for a pump, too. Could I have advice about what to do? Thanks. :)

Edited by goldenlady

Maybe I didn't state my question correctly. I'm considering installing a UV sterilizer for disease prevention, because I want to get a couple of really nice fish and I only have a 30 gallon to work with. Three fish is probably all I'll ever have, so I don't want what fish I buy to die. I'm trying to do everything I should to achieve the highest water quality possible. The 9W Turbo-Twist UV sterlizer apparently doesn't have an airpump. I am wondering what pump will do the job and be super quiet. I have heard that Rena pumps are real quiet, but someone has mentioned the Rio mini 50. I don't know the brand, so I'm asking. Does anyone out there know what would be best to do? :)

Guest Pushkin

Hi,

I recently installed a UV filter and pump for my tank. I also didn't want to mess with plumbing it through my Eheim. I used a in-the-tank pump. It was easy to set up and the one I have (sorry, can't remember details, but will look for you) was recommended by my UV filter. It is more powerful than the RENA I have for my bubble wand. Also, I noticed that most pumps have only the little tiny outlet for tubing, the one I got (at vvvv) takes the 1/2" tubing and was easier to plumb. Oh, and it's quiet, unlike my external Rena.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Hi Goldenlady,

I have previously used a coralife uv on my cannister.

You need to connect the outflow from your eheim to the uv intake. The coralife should come with adaptors to fit your particular pipe diameter.

Then you can connect some tubing to the outflow from the uv into your tank.

One thing to bear in mind are the flow rates for effective sterilisation. Your choice of steriliser will mean that a pretty low flow rate is needed. I believe it would be a lot lower than the output rating of your cannister. To get around this you can install a T-junction between the UV and cannister to divert excess flow from the UV and into the tank.

I'll have a look to see if I can find some diagrams.

Hope this helps.

Slugger :)

Thank you everyone. I have a lot to think about. And yes, I have a canister filter, an Eheim 2213. I am going to have to save up for this equipment. So far, I don't need anythig drastic as I have only one fish, but I'm hoping to get another one sooner rather than later. When I get a third, if I do, I think I'll surely need the UV.