Ice Cubes

Guest mic123

I was wondering if it would be safe for fish to add ice cubes to their water to cool it down. I was wondering because i don't want to have to spend a fortune on a cooler. Has anyone tried this before or do you think it will be safe?

Well, if you dechlorinate the water before freezing it and only put one at a time, it may be okay.

I'm just worried that (1) you'll be introducing tap water to the tank and (2) you may cause the temperature to change too drastically.

Is it really hot where you are? What's your tank temperature right now?

During the summer when my tank is above 80, i put a handful of ice cubes in to a sandwhich bag and let it float in my tank. The temperature only drops like 2 degrees in my 10 gal tank after, so drastic changes shouldn't happen. The fish just hangs out near the baggie and swim off after their cooled.

What temperature is your tank water though?

Edit: oops didn't see that, 76 should be fine.

Edited by Gold Ryu

so you think 76 isn't to warm for goldies cause I could do what you said but use one of those bigger bags filled with ice because I have a 55 gallon. That's actually a very good idea because then you woulden't be getting any water toxic to fish in the tank because it's in the bag. The reason I wanted to do this because everywhere says that the water should be between 50 and 75 degrees F. and I only want the best for my goldies so I wanted to check and make sure it was okay before doing this.

I definitely like Gold Ryu's idea with the sandwich bag, sounds like a good way to get the water temperature down without "adding" to the water.

76 degrees F is actually okay for goldfish. What I've heard is to be more concerned about drastic changes in temperature or if it gets well above 80 F in the tank.

Are you worried because of temperature fluctuations in your home? Or are the fish gasping as if there's little oxygen in the water? If there's gasping that may be a sign of other problems.

no their not gasping believe me theirs plenty of oxygen in my tanks it's just that I'm trying to breed them and I read on here somewhere that in order to breed goldies you need to keep the temp at 64 degrees f. for about for months and then start higher the temp into the 70's so I wanted to do something to bring the temp down not to drastically though and not have to spend a fortune on a cooler. I just put the bag full of ice in now and the fish are all crowded around the bag of ice. Thank you everybody for the help. Does anyone have any other good ideas or breeding triggers. Thanks everybody again.

It is right - the perfect breeding temperature is around 68 degrees, but is isn't written in stone, and fish are perfectly capable of breeding in other temperatures as well. If I would wait for the 64 degrees mark to hit here in Florida, I wouldn't see any fish for most of the very warm year.

Another way of cooling down the tank without dumping ice cubes into the water is having the filter sit in a bucket with ice cubes. It'll cool down the water more slowly, and more persistantly. Although if you have a temperature sensitive fish, you better watch it.

Other triggers are low pressure systems, and if your fish are outdoors, a full moon. Sometimes just the introduction of a new fish, or getting into a new surrounding, will trigger spawning as well.

what I used to do is put some water in a small tunkerware container and freeze it...during the hotter parts of the day, I would put it in the tank...if you have extra trays, take some tank water and freeze it and then drop the cubes in the back of the filter or in the tank.

I'm going for commons and I'm in RI. I'll try all of those ideas. I thought of an idea for the full moon thing to. I have a large flashlight and i could just keep it turned on in the room above the tank for a couple nights.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mutsukai

I'm going for commons and I'm in RI. I'll try all of those ideas. I thought of an idea for the full moon thing to. I have a large flashlight and i could just keep it turned on in the room above the tank for a couple nights.

. . . I think it's more to do with the gravitational pull. :) Though I could be wrong.