Eggs?

Guest Newby

Hi.. I just recently bought some fish. I have four in one tank, and then bought another one (a fantail) to join them. When I bought this one, i thought it might be sick as it was really fat. The original four began to attack and chase the new fish after i put them together, so i separated them. I moved her to another tank and put one of my snails in with her. On Friday, i noticed there were these clear, circular, bubble-like things all around the top of the water line and around the plants leaves. I wasn't sure what these were, but just thought they might be air bubbles. I moved the snail out nevertheless, just in case they are eggs, as i heard that snails eat them. They don't pop and seem to attach to anything (especially the jug i use to change the water). They are still there and I was just wondering what they were. I went to the local pet store and she said they sounded like fish eggs. I asked her if they need to be fertilised, and she said no, that once a fish is fertilised she will keep having eggs every forty days! I was wondering if this was true, but most importantly if they are fish eggs after all. I really need help as i havent had any fish since i was a little kid and dont know the first thing about breeding or anything!

Please Help :)

I don't know how to attach any photos so I couldn't put any on here.. I can email them though, if anyone knows what to do...

Sounds definetely like fish eggs, yes, and if there isn't another fish with her, they are unfertilized. Females can drop eggs even with no male, especially if she is very full of them. Even something simple as pumping into things, or being hold in a hand, can cause egg release.

And yes, females can produce eggs on a regular basis, especially if well fed and well taken care off. They however will only be fertile if a male is in the tank and covers the eggs with milt. And even then not all of the eggs will be fertilized.

I would take them out, since they are not gonna be fertilized. Otherwise they will only foul the water, and the female will eat them. Which again will make the water quality bad. Extra food = extra waste.

Aww.. Thanks guys..

I was just wondering.. The ladies at this pet shop said that this fish was most likely already fertilised and would never need to be fertilised again, so just to leave her by herself and she'll keep having eggs... I'm confused.. I thought this sounded strange... but...

So, next time she has eggs, should i take her out and put a male fish in? How do I tell if it's a male fish, and do they have to be the same breed or anything? cause i don't have any more fantails :) How long will it take for him to fertilise them? and then would i leave her in a seperate tank until they hatch?

Sorry for all the questions.. I'm just starting to learn :)

Thankyou :)

If you want to have baby fish keep the male and female togther, when u notice the next lot of eggs take the plants that they are on and put them alone in a tank.

And wait and see.

The thing is, putting the male with the female after she already laid the eggs isn't much use, since the eggs will only be ready to take in the male's milt for a few seconds, then close up. They both have to be together right from the start, and basically at the moment that the females lays the eggs, the male will be there fertilizing them.

A fish is not actually having a pregnancy in the sense that we know in humans, and any egg that comes out of her will have to be fertilized by an already present male. The female can lay eggs without a male, but they won't be any fry developing from it.

OOOOOOOHH... I see now..

Though, I'm not sure how to tell which of my other fish are male. Also, my other four fish all seem to fight and chase after the female. OR is this just them 'chasing' and nudging her in a reproduction kind of way?

So should i wait a few weeks and then put a male with her, or now?

Thankyou

They'll do that chasing behavior, trying to make the female release her eggs. Very normal, and I would assume that those fish doing the chasing are the males. Could be that you have 4 males and 1 female. I know that I tend to buy the males for some reason. They have the body style that I like so much, and for that I always seem to end up with the boys. :rolleyes:

If they are chasing now, Newby, I would just leave the female in for now. But watch her closely - being chased by 4 males can be stressful over time, especially if she is much smaller than the males. If she shows signs of exhaustion (hiding, slowing down drastically) then I'd take her out and give her some rest.