Brown Algae?

El Pez

Algae comes in differant colors.Brown being one of them.Brown algae is a slime type algae.Heres a link on info on all differant types of algae and what causes it :)

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

Edited by Blue

It's funny but most of us are quite happy to put up with green algae - in fact it can be very beneficial, but brown algae is a real turn off visually isn't it?

It just looks so ugly and dirty and it is most noticable on plants and ornaments. Non-fishy people see it and immediatley think you don't look after your tanks very well :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, there really is not too much you can do about it other than keep up your with regular water changes to keep your NitrAte and Phosphate levels down.

If you're suddenly getting an outbreak of brown algae where you've previously gotten green, double check your NitrAte and Phosphate levels, increase your water changes and check you are not overfeeding or feeding high phosphate foods (should say on the analysis part of the packaging).

Also, as the link says, sometimes massive brown algae growth indicates a lack of light. This is usually correctable to some extent.

Brown algae often first appears in new set ups and then develops slowly into green.

Just my experience, but larger tanks tend to develop brown algae before green and smaller tanks (say less than 10 gallons) move straight to green algea. Like I said, this is just what I've found in the past. I'm not saying it always does that :)

I agree, mrb....my smaller tanks got to the green stage very quickly and I think it's because the light can penetrate the water depth so much easier. I just recently changed the bulb type on my large tank and the better/different lighting is now turning it to green. Brown alage is so much harder to look at. I just usually scrubbed it off at water changes, but since it's now turning, I'm "trying" to not scrub so much and see what happens. :unsure: